Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pennies with holes in them!

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Australia
9 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  01:26 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DaveKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi All,

I have been hoarding and sorting aussie pennies for a while now and have bought bulk lots from all different sources.
I have noticed that some (not many, but enough to make me ask this question!)have holes in them, either at the top of the coin (to wear like a pendant) or right in the centre of the coin.

Were holes put in them for any reason other than to hang them as jewellery/pendants? I wouldnt think that it was very popular!

Also if a coin has a hole drilled in it, to what extent does this impact its value? ie 1946 Penny? or a normal date that is VF+ the only fault is a drilled hole?
Kind Regards
Dave

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  01:28 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Daveking
A hole in any coin usually destroys any numismatic value, unless very rare
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Pillar of the Community
Australia
4411 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  01:34 am  Show Profile Check enworb's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add enworb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I reckon you would still get someone pay $5 for a 1946 of 25 with a hole. Just not me
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3712 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the ones with holes in the middle are mostly older coins, they may have been used in New Guinea. The Natives preferred to 'carry' their cash on a cord they could wear around the neck, but The Territory got it's own low denomination coins in the 30's and 40's (and all 11 circulation coins were produced with holes in them!), but they were discontinued after 1945 in favour of Australian coins.

http://www.afscoins.com/images/pdf/...20Guinea.pdf
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Australia
9 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  05:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your input. That makes sense! In one lot there were a few New Guinea coins mixed in!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1155 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Broken-Coin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to drill holes in coins whenever I needed a washer for a machine bolt, mostly nickels and sometimes a quarter when I needed a larger washer (cheaper then driving to the local hardware store)...
Back in my hippie years (1969-72) I drilled 8 silver dimes and polish them to a mirror finish, I then replaced all the black buttons on my black dress shirt with the dimes... It looked awesome, then again, I was high as the clouds above me☺...

Even today, if I need a small washer i'll drill out the pre 1982 lincoln cents as I don't know how well the zinc would hold up...
Valued Member
Australia
315 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2012  7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome..
Yeah,lots of reasons for Penny holes,apparently it was fashionable in Aust. for a short period of time to wear one(usually your birth date)around the neck.Started collecting Pennies/Halves back during my School days when I did a Paper Run(Route) and there were lots of damaged coins left out for the daily paper,my Father said Soldiers used to punch holes in them but I'm not sure why or what the holed coin was used for,they also used to fire bullets at them for a lark.
Valued Member
Australia
204 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter S Thomas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmm shot coin.....

Penny + 303 + bullseye = A darn hard job to find the penny. It would be GONE.
Valued Member
Australia
315 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No,they used to glue them to a tree or post,apparently a 303 had enough velocity to go straight thru,they used to bet on who would get closest to a centre hit,a job for Myth Busters,fact or fiction.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  12:51 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a fake Brit 1937 crown ( Steel) .243 at 50 meters.
I'm sure that the old 303 could hole a copper penny.

Pillar of the Community
United States
863 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  02:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add silvercoinrn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think a lot of them are from bullets. I did just buy a Peace dollar with a hole in it theother day. I got it for 10 dollars. I figured it still has silver in it so why not
Valued Member
Australia
356 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  02:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Enlil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those New Guinea coins are cheap for uncirculated.
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would pay nothing for damage coins. except 1930 penny
Valued Member
Australia
204 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2012  7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter S Thomas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Basil,

Talking from experience, , they did tend to fly a bit. Country boy that I am, we used to stand them up, 20c mostly, in the cracks in the top of fence posts.

.243, .303 etc even though the velocity was high, if the coin was a bit loose it would still fly due to the energy imparted.

You know this is a good idea for a new thread. Extreme PMD?
Pics required.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5063 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2012  7:29 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if the coin was a bit loose it would still fly due to the energy imparted

This is another reason to follow your fall of shot through the scope.
You can see where the coin ends up
Valued Member
Australia
315 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2013  8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Penny with bullet still lodged on eBay,first time I've seen that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1943-PENNY-...0f2c7&_uhb=1
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05