Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

5 Balboas 1976 - Is it a mule and rare?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Ireland
196 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  09:28 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Sheencrofter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hello,
I have this 1976 5 Balboas Panama coin which I believe is silver.
I have read some entires on the internet that these coins may be mules and if so, they are rare.
Not being too sure what a mule is, I wonder if anyone could help.
Many thanks,
Sheen

Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  12:05 pm  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the Krause catalog this would be KM#40.2 with the erroneous LEY.925. It is made with copper-nickel clad copper and has a diameter of 38.8mm.
It has a mintage of 5,000 and a value of $20 in UNC condition.
It shows that none this year and version were made with silver. Others on here know how to use a specific gravity test to see if it is in fact made of silver. Unfortunately I am not one of them
Edited by mmorgan22
05/25/2012 12:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2274 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's not entirely rare and there are a couple for sale on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/elf-Panama-...em5648ff9594

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panama-1976...em231cdb7aed
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Valued Member
Ireland
196 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sheencrofter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to both of you.
From looking at the two Ebay auctions, it seems one seller is offering the coin for $30 and the other for $65.
From what I can make out, the "Ley 0.925" legend showing 925 silver has been left on by the mint even though the coin is not silver. From what the Ebay seller at $65 is saying, it appears he feels this is the error and as such, is selling it at double the price of the other seller.
So each to his own reasons for priceinng a coin.
Sheen
Valued Member
Australia
262 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2012  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nicwinner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if it's silver then spot price
if it's copper-nickel then couple of dollars
Valued Member
Ireland
196 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2012  08:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sheencrofter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So is there a good site to find spot price. Each one I find always seems very confusing.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05