Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identifying a Augustus Roman Coin set in a Pendant.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  12:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add marco28uk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

Iam new to the site and was wondering if someone could help me identify this coin I have discovered in my fathers loft.

It has been set in a little pendant and I was wondering if anyone could help me with date and worth?

It has Augustus inscribed on the side in view.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3802 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im no expert, but to help the experts, photograph the other side - both sides are needed for an ID to be given.

That being said, an early emperor is worth a considerable amount and this is in great condition. However, its authenticity is another thing. Do you know where he got it?
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  1:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like an Augustus Posthumous issue Denarius, but we need close up images of both sides in order to give you an attribution and value. Just from what I can see, it looks genuine. Do you have any idea if the mounting is made from gold? It would be rare, IMHO, for a fake to be placed in an expensive mounting. Bottom line here is to take more pictures and post them.
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marco28uk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back of coin image attached.

Unfortuntaely mounted in a way you can't see the reverse.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3802 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  1:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Marco, try and read off the legend - A close up of whats visible could help. If you want to delve into it yourself, go to the Wildwinds Partial Legend search (google it). The legend usually relates to a certain reverse.
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've already done that and could find no coin with a TI DIVI F Avgvstvs legend. Maybe I over looked it. It may be Tiberius rather than Augustus. Or it may be a fake. Really, about the only way to be certain is to take the coin out of the mount to see what is on the reverse and to weigh and measure. Otherwise, I don't think anyone can be certain.
Learn More...
United States
19340 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

The obverse depicts Tiberius with the legend TI DIVI F AVGVSTVS which was used on his coins. I don't see any indication that the reverse was ever struck and the mounting IMO doesn't appear to be gold at least it's not markes as such. I don't believe this is a real coin of Tiberius.
Edited by echizento
07/26/2012 3:22 pm
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is genuine either; however, the reverse may be covered by a plate on the mounting. Before I pass judgement, I would want to see the reverse.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3802 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looked like it was just pushed in, but I reckon that pushing it out could damage the coin. Whatever you do, be careful with it (maybe lube it up with soap before attempting to get it out?
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  3:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marco28uk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is quite set in the mount.

What gives me confidence there is another side is the thickness of the mount.

Not sure what to do to get it out.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3802 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...are you emotionally attatched to the mount? Worst comes to worst, you could cut it out of the mount. Well, unless of course, the mount is worth something. If tyhe sentiment is there, then you wouldnt sell it anyway, I suppose. Anyway, getting it out, you should damage the mount as opposed to the coin, just in case.
Formerly jwharper
4253 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, that looks like a nice mounting. Is it heavy? Personally, I would take it to a jewelers and have them remove the coin with damaging either. It couldn't cost much for them to do that. You're call.
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add marco28uk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice guys.

No personal affection to the mount but I want to make sure it can be removed in a way that doesn't damage either.

The Jewellers route sounds a good call.

Learn More...
United States
19340 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  6:48 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interested to see what the jewelers has to say.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1546 Posts
 Posted 07/26/2012  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dougsmit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The style is nothing like any genuine coin I have seen. I really believe the reverse will be blank and you will make a mistake removing it from the setting. As is, it has costume jewelry value unless the gold turns out to be real. The coin is not.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05