Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Precious Metals and Bullion - Gold, Silver, Copper, Platinum

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

2012 World Silver Bullion Collection

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
SDCrow
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2012  5:58 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add SDCrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey everyone,

So I was thinking about starting a 2012 world silver bullion set for my son who will be here any day now! I was hoping to buy/make a display or case with various world 1 oz silver bullion coins. I'm contemplating how many to include, how to store/display it, etc. I thought I could bounce ideas off of anyone who maybe has experience doing something similar. Does anyone have any suggestions of a quality way to display something like this? I'd like this be something that I could store away rather than hanging on a wall (as my PM hoarding/collecting is on the qt).

So far, these are the coins I had in mind:

ASE
Maple Leaf
Moose
Cougar
Libertad
Britannia
Panda
Philharmonic
Kookaburra
Koala
Kangaroo
Somalia Elephant
Armenia Noah's Ark
Fiji Taku
Lunar Dragon

That puts me at a nice round number of 15, but I would love to add more to get to 20 or even 25 if anyone has any recommendations. I thought I could also include a couple variations of the ASE as well (proof, burnished, reverse proof). Thanks.

Edited by SDCrow
07/27/2012 5:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2012  7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a great plan. How about adding some of these?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...ver+owl+coin
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2012  7:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SDCrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yikes! I've seen these discussed on this forum before. Too rich for my blood. Luckily for me, they are from 2011, so they won't fit into my 2012 set. Having said that, I don't think I'll be able to spring for the 2012 Mongolian Hedgehog anytime soon, either.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2012  7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have made several sets myself, based on the World Coin Sets from APMEX. I make my own boxes ( my other hobby is woodworking ) or I retrofit old boxes from yard sales or flea markets. I have made a " One Hundred Years of you S Silver " 2 coin set with a CH BU 1886 Morgan and a CH BU 1986 Eagle in a custom made box. Also a 1896/1996 Morgan/Eagle set.
Your choice of coins is nice and collect-able. I have made a 2010 world set and a 2012 world set using 10/12 coins. Basically all the ones you listed save the last three, the fiji armenia and lunar.

Depending on what you are assembling for, collectibility or eye appeal, the criteria for my sets are simple, all 1oz .999 silver, all the same mint year and all must be legal tender in their represented countries. I myself, do not include .925 coins, " boutique " coins or commemoratives. I love collecting sets , hope this helps and good luck, a great endeavour.
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people ....."

Wanted List: Graded Libertads, MS66+, Putting together a registry set
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2012  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SDCrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks denco. It would be great to see an example of one of the boxes that you've made if you get the chance. I've seen the APMEX 10 coin sets, which is along the same lines as what I'm thinking of. Unless, of course, something or someone else inspires me.

By the way, even though I'm pretty new around here myself, I'll welcome you anyway!
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
937 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good choice of coins.

If this is going to be something put away rather than displayed on a wall then I would recommend that it is possible to buy some nice velvet boxes which hold 12 coins in a tray and then 12 coins below them... these are big enough that you can put the coins in capsules first and then in the box.

When you open the box it is quite attractive to see them all lines up neatly and be able to take them out and handle them inside the plastic capsules without putting finger marks all over them. They are sealed from the air too so should stay it perfect condition.

With room for 24 coins I would take the first 12 you listed and you have room to collect another 12 on arrival of a second child... or if you are feeling adventurous you could get a set from your own birthyear also.

These boxes are not too expensive either... I would find you a link but I am not sure I should bee posting links to retail companies. I am sure you can find something with the aid of google though.
Modern:1961, Proof sets:5, Silver proof sets:3, Bullion Oz coins:25,
Banknotes:301, Hammered English:3, Gold:7, Greek:13, Roman:10,
Byzantine:1 Bactria:1 Celtic:1 Anglo-saxon:1 Chinese:6
Edited by DavidUK
07/27/2012 8:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2012  10:18 pm  Show Profile Check traevin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add traevin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SDC,

Here's one. I'll try to think of some more.

If you haven't noticed by now, I don't proofread veery well and I apollogize profusely. (;>D
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
507 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2012  11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amaths to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will SML privies count? There are Pisa Tower, Dragon, Titanic. The latter two are reverse proof. You are going to love them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2012  01:03 am  Show Profile Check traevin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add traevin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New Zealand 2012 $1 Kiwi would also be an excellent choice.
If you haven't noticed by now, I don't proofread veery well and I apollogize profusely. (;>D
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2012  01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the idea of having a 1 ounce silver coin from every country that produces them. Since you don't want to display them, I would suggest putting each silver coin in an airtite or something like it. They are a great way to protect them.
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2012  02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SDCrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If this is going to be something put away rather than displayed on a wall then I would recommend that it is possible to buy some nice velvet boxes which hold 12 coins in a tray and then 12 coins below them... these are big enough that you can put the coins in capsules first and then in the box.

David, I've come across a wood or velvet box that will hold 18 silver ounces in airtites. This might be the best thing I've found yet. This way I have a nice display when I pull it out. I haven't seen the two-tray box that you are referring to, but I'll keep looking.

Quote:
Here's one. I'll try to think of some more.

Quote:
New Zealand 2012 $1 Kiwi would also be an excellent choice.

Traevin, I really like the Rwanda Rhino and the NZ Kiwi. I haven't been able to find the Rhino anywhere except eBay so far, and I haven't really looked too much yet for the Kiwi. They both have a pretty stiff premium (like the Kangaroo), but they are great looking coins.

Quote:
Will SML privies count? There are Pisa Tower, Dragon, Titanic. The latter two are reverse proof. You are going to love them.

If I decide to throw in the ASE proof and reverse proof, then I suppose a RP maple leaf would also be nice. The dragon privy would be fitting I would think.

Quote:
I like the idea of having a 1 ounce silver coin from every country that produces them. Since you don't want to display them, I would suggest putting each silver coin in an airtite or something like it. They are a great way to protect them.

Spider, I was definitely planning on the airtites. Luckily it looks like some of the boxes I've looked at have spaces are sized specifically for the direct fit airtites.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm looking forward to getting this project off the ground.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1496 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2012  12:15 pm  Show Profile Check poboxw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add poboxw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrads on your baby boy!
Here's an old thread of my 1oz world bullion collection. At last count I'm up to 25 or so individual countries.
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...IC_ID=110429

Here's a few others you might consider:

The Brits have a Rose round I think too
New Zealand also have the Fern
Cook Island the Bounty (ship)
Malawi a Krugerrand copy
Denmark the fairy tale or polar series
Russia the Saint George
Belarus the Owl like Ed_B linked to, as with Mongolia (which will cost you an arm and a leg + a kidney and a half)
Somaliland has a Chinese Lunar series as well
Andorra has the Eagle.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1625 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2012  5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the suggestions sound great, SD, but the one thing that I have learned in collecting world silver, is focus , focus, focus ........ I personally have focused on coming up with ideas for small but meaningful sets. I collect NGC Brown Label Eagles with one of my sons, specialty proof sets with another son ( we have completed our Silver Premier Proof Sets, American Legacy Proof Sets and are working on a complete set of Prestige Proof Sets.....anyone have a 1996 Prestige Set they can sell us for cheap ? ) I am trying to put together, along with specialty sets, registry sets of Pandas and Libertads, like the majority of us, all out of my gf's focus. Does my coin dealer of choice tempt me with coins out of my collecting realm ? Of course, whos head isn't turned by a 1909 vsb , 1913 Buffalo, one of a thousand different label Eagles or privied Maple Leafs. Especially if they are a great buy at a show or auction.My restrained reply is, yes they are beautiful, yes they are a great buy/investment, but they are NOT what I collect, $40 on that underpriced Kookaburra is forty dollars less I have to spend on that 1998 MS 69 Brown Label Eagle to complete the 90's portion of my son's ASE collection.

My point is there are fine lines between hoarding , unfocused and unbridled collecting, accumulating over priced spot valued world silver coins from multi...multi countries and putting together a meaningful collection for your son. If you don't focus, your interest and especially your resources will quickly wane and your project will collect dust.

I am new here and really don't want to offend anyone, so I apologize in advance, but some of the coins that were suggested were sterling, not .999 silver, $100 plus boutique coins that ..... well look on craigslist and see how many Franklin Mint or HSN " Great Artists of the 20th Century " silver coin sets are being sold for the buying price of $2000 instead of the melt price, which is what they are worth. Many of the coins suggested are " representative " but are not even that well struck or good looking. The coins you chose are representative of the most popular , well designed and well struck coins of 2012. They are affordable and guaranteed to hold their value and rise with age and the price of silver. For my 100 years of U. S. Silver Set, I could have added a Peace dollar, or an Ike, I could have gone with an 1886o Morgan or an 1896s and 1986 or '96 proofs, but why ? The two coins I included are beautiful , MS affordable coins, that make the point I was trying to convey with the set , I can beautifully display them in the den, If they are stolen I will be sad but not financially hurt ( my son took his set to school this year for show and tell ), When the gf asks how much ? Since both coins are raw and in capsules I don't have to lie, " I paid $31 for Morgan and $31 for the Eagle and I made the box, less than a pair of her shoes.

I guess this is a long winded way of suggesting that if you want to hoard world silver for yourself, that is fine , if you want to invest in silver coins for your son's future that is fine, but if you want to make a meaningful " birth year set " for your son, keep it simple with the coins you chose, stay away from the .925 , comemmeratives and boutique coins that cost $100+ dollars and will be worth squat, long after people have forgotten about the Titanic or the 2012 Olympics even the proof coins , which tend to be expensive and look out of place displayed among the other coins and stick with something that your son is going to relish and sow the seeds of this great father/ son hobby. Would you rather "tell" your son about the collection you have stored away for him, or let him open the box, take the coins out of their capsules, examine them, hold them show them off, after all isn't that what father/son time is all about.

Again . I am new, sorry if I stepped on any toes with my opinions/suggestions. Love this site.
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people ....."

Wanted List: Graded Libertads, MS66+, Putting together a registry set
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2012  6:20 pm  Show Profile Check traevin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add traevin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't you hate when someone asks for suggestions for something specific and instead of responding to within the framework of the question with suggestions that fit the criteria, someone decides it's their business to steer it somewhere else entirely. I've seen so many things on forums that I don't agree with but for some reason, I don't feel it's my duty to set every one of them straight.

Sorry, pet peeve.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4008 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2012  6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ed_B to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yikes! I've seen these discussed on this forum before. Too rich for my blood. Luckily for me, they are from 2011, so they won't fit into my 2012 set.

True but these were just examples. I am sure that there are 2012 versions of all of these. As to their cost, yes, some of them are spendy, unfortunately. Still, they are cheaper than buying gold!
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2012  6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SDCrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Congrads on your baby boy! Here's an old thread of my 1oz world bullion collection. At last count I'm up to 25 or so individual countries.

Poboxw, thank you very much. I couldn't be more excited. I'm happy to say that the thread you suggested is the very first one I read on this forum, the inspiration for me to start collecting world silver, and if you dig the pages, it is also the thread where I wrote my first post. I was hoping I would get your input, so thank you.

I will be sure to look through those additional suggestions. A few of them I've never heard of, so I look forward to checking them all out.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 4.12 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05