Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crossover SEGS, etc. to PCGS, NGC, etc.?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2007  06:39 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've sometimes seen some nice coins in SEGS & other basement slabs.

Anyone ever crossover these slabbed coins to PCGS, NGC, ICG or ANACS & get close to the original grade?

United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2007  07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may have some coin & tokens done by SEG or PCI cost less & faster, and PCI is about 120 miles from me & they are better than ICG! ANACS is getting bogged down with new signature series. but love there holders and there grades I have gotten about 60 coin graded by ANACS for me and my friend store from them this year
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2007  08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen nice coins in SEGS slabs also but I would always crack them out before trying to crossover just because they would try to make those other companies look worse than they actually are. I don't put SEGS and PCI in the same category as other basement slabbers because these are actually companies that actually try to get it right and not someone just slapping their own inventory into plastic with a fantasy grade
Pillar of the Community
United States
812 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2007  4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bilbo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that SEGS and especially PCI are better than most.

I think in general, the lower the grade, the better the chance of it crossing over with a very similar grade. I bet F-15s will tend to grade very close when crossed-over; the MS-65s, not so much; the MS-70s, forget about it.

However, there are some "basement graders" that truly are in a fantasy world. The above does not apply for these. I think they just print up labels, then find random coins that fit in the holder.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2007  4:17 pm  Show Profile Check Jaobler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yechi,

You might check the "Crossover and Crack-out Stories" thread in this forum. I last posted to it on 06/23/07. There are quite a few crossover attempts listed there, including SEGS and PCI coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2007  6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add yechi7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OOPS! My error. I didn't mean SEGS - I meant the infamous SGS - Aboncom. Almost all their stuff is MS70 & PR70. I meant to ask: Do they ever crossover to a similar grade from the Big Four?
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2007  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that 99.9 don't have a chance in the place down under (and I don't mean Australia) of crossing over at any respectable TPG and I include SEGS and PCI into this section of respectable TPG's, I will even go out on a limb and say they don't have a chance at NTC and I would never call them respectable but have to say they are in a whole other league than SGS
Forum Uncle
Learn More...
United States
2883 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2007  8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last three attempts I made resulted in the following....1950D Jefferson PCI MS66...Came back PCGS MS65. Next was a SEGS VF20 Large Cent...came back PCGS "Altered Surfaces".(That is, in my opinion, the PCGS "catch all" generic rejection reason). A second attempt usually results in the coin being holder-ed as long as it is cracked out of it's current holder. Last, a PCI MS66 1938D Buffalo...came back PCGS MS 65. I have a lot more examples, but these are the most recent ones. One of the most unusual(at least to me) was a Bust Half that was rejected by ICG as tooled. I sent it to ANACS and it came back as a VF35, problem free coin. Go figure! Mike
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05