Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Coin Photography

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Christmas Camera

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
zacharycash
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2007  02:13 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add zacharycash to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Ok. Im thinking about asking for a DSLR for Christmas. It will be for both coin photography and other photography. I'll probably end up getting a macro lens later on. I've been looking at a few. Nikon D40, D40x and canons rebel XT and XTI. What do you think?

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2007  03:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Nikon D70S with the 60mm macro lens. It's a great macro setup, but I have yet to master lighting for coin shots. I've also tried out the Rebel XT, and D40x, but I found both too small for my hands. Check out the D70 too. While it's only 6 megapixels, I find the res is quite good for all my macro work. Last time I checked, places like Best Buy have a few left for cheap. If you want a really sturdy camera, consider the D200

Here's a few examples of my macro work with a D70S and Nikkor 60mm.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2007  07:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Nikon D40 while a fine camera, has some limitations on what Nikon lens it can use with full functionality.

Pillar Of The Community
5318 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2007  08:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
7070--good point! the D40 doesn't have an external autofocus drive, which means you can only use the Nikkor DX lenses. This eliminates a whole slew of lenses.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2007  09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that you can use them, but you lose autofocus. (on non DX lens(s))

I am partial to the D80, But as KurtS said the D70 is a excellant camera. and can use all Nikon lens's
Edited by 7070
12/16/2007 10:02 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2007  10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know the rules for post links to external sites so if this is a no no then please delete, anyways here is a site that specializes in finding good deals. I have done a lot of unneeded spending because of this site (computers, memory, cameras, basically anything) the deals are sometimes to hard to resist. Do a search for D70, D40 etc, there are a bunch of camera enthusiast that post there also, anyways here it is- http://www. (180) Not Allowed - Auto-Removed .com/forums/categories.php?catid=18
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2443 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2007  10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Amazon99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zach, what's wrong with your camera? You take great photos as it is. Like they say, "Don't fix it if it's not broken".
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1173 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2007  11:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hunter20ga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently went the Nikon D80 route because I liked its menus and features, as well as the way it felt in my hand better than the Canons. I would, however, have gotten the Canon XTi rather than a Nikon D40 or D40x, because the lens selection is so much greater, and the Canon 105 mm macro lens is a show-stopper at a reasonable price. (Please note..."reasonable" is in the eyes of the beholder. I think the Canon 105 runs in the $450-550 on most sites; the Nikon 105 mm macro seems to be $800-1100! (Ouch!)

Sigma and Tamron have (reputedly) excellent 105 and 90 mm macros, respectively that are in the $400 range.

I would echo SuperDave's remarks in other threads and suggest one of the longer macro lenses over the 55 and 60 mm examples on the market to ensure you have adequate working distance for lighting when doing coin photography.

Remember that a digital SLR has a sensor that is smaller than the film size of a 35mm camera. Thus a 60 mm lens on a dSLR is equivalent to a 90 mm lens on a film camera; a 100 mm lens is equivalent to a 150 mm lens, and so on.

Back to the cameras...Canon's "firmware" (internal software) tends to be more "aggressive" than Nikon's and produces slightly sharper images with more vivid colors. Both manufacturer's midline and high end cameras allow the photographer a great deal of latitude in adjusting the default settings, so you can achieve the look you want. For coin photography, that probably means you'll need to do more manipulating of the Nikon's set-up than the Canon's. On the other hand, for portraits of people, you might like the Nikon's "out-of-the-box" image quality better. (It's all very, very relative and subjective...both makers' dSLR's can product fantastic photos in the right hands!

On the photography forums it seems that many people are unhappy with the "kit lens" that is common on the Canon XT and XTi, and happier with the quality of what normally comes with the Nikon. If possible, read up on the available lenses. You may, in the end, decide to get just the body, and forego the kit lens entirely in favor of one more suited to your style. There's a forum call DPReview that is chock full of useful information.

Best part of dSLR...you can take many, many, many, many photos as you learn how to use your camera with almost no cost beyond your time! And then when you get a new lens...you can do it all over again.

Just some thoughts.

United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2007  2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a conversation I have been watching and only wish I had an educated comment to make in here to help anyone make a decision but in all reality I am using a camera I got on eBay a few years ago for something like 25 bucks to take my coin pictures with (just a 3.2MP JVC digital camera, nothing fancy and no lense capability except the one built in) and I did buy a newer camera at walmart on BlackFriday (a 7.2MP sony for $80.00) I will still use the JVC for coin pictures because I can't seem to get good coin pictures out of the sony, but I can't seem to get very good pictures of anything else with the JVC besides coins, so now I have a camera for coins and another camera for everything else. I am not a photographer and very seldom take pictures anyway so spending a grand on a camera and another grand on a lense and then the time it would take to use it all I would get overwhelmed and stop using it anyway and probably go back to what I already know how to use. Even though I would like to take pictures like some others do on this forum and other pictures of other things besides just coins I have seen elsewhere I find my camera I use to be sufficient to show all the details I need to show and the pictures are big enough for detailed shots (even though it doesn't show mirror fields very well) of the whole coin to show what I am trying to point out, so I want to say that the person buying the camera needs to really think about what they are wanting to accomplish with their camera before they go plunking down alot of money on a camera if all they are going to do is an occasional shot of the family and a few coins to post on a forum then a regular point and shoot camera may be better suited for your needs, I know it is for mine because even if I were to spend the kind of cash on a camera and lense that these other people use on here my pictures would still never be as good as theirs because I wouldn't use it enough to go through the initial setup of the camera to get the pictures looking like I would want them to look
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05