Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

coin holder

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2008  04:24 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ajohnson1983 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRILLIANT-UNCIR...AR_W0QQitemZ a href= http://www.coincommunity.com/go/f1....ig_cvip=true target= _blank rel= nofollow 330216244484 /a QQihZ014QQcategoryZ39465QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
what is this type of coin holder called? I have one similar to this, and am wondering if its worth putting it in a plastic capsule.

Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2008  04:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure I understand the question entirely, but the holder is referred to as a 2x2 (two by two) and the coin is a Morgan dollar and if you have one in Mint State you should definitely protect it somehow.
Learn More...
United States
17349 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2008  06:42 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a cardboard flip; it folds over the coin and is stapled, as you can see. The clear plastic is mylar, and won't bother the coin. It does a decent job of protecting the coin, but isn't air-tight. Therefore, the possibility exists that the coin could still be exposed to circumstances which allowed it to tarnish. Many (even most) collectors use them exclusively, and by further protecting their collection - boxing the flips, storing them under proper conditions away from moisture and chemically-charged atmospheres - they'll be okay for decades.

Me, I prefer more secure storage. I tend to handle things more frequently, and there's more turnover in my collection than most. So, I use clear mylar (NOT soft, PVC-added) flips for the short-term, and Airtite holders for longer-term storage. That's the course I advise.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13050 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2008  11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they are basically called 2x2 flips. Due to being 2"x2". There are also 1-1/2"x 1-1/2" sizes available. Avaiable at almost any coin store or coin supply on line dealer. If you go to coin shows you would see that most dealers are now using those smaller sizes for smaller coins. Much cheaper. If for long term storage, simply tape the ends instead of staples. A test for leakage is just put the edge to your mouth and blow. If you can get air through, you need to add more tape.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2008  10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add robert18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2x2's are great for most collectors in my opinion, you can get the three ring binder pages to put them in and make custom albums for a low cost.
Valued Member
United States
328 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2008  6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gbchaosmaster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2x2's are great, they're dirt cheap and can only help preserve the coins (unless your stapler slips ). I also like air-tites, they'll protect the coins for ages, and are very cheap (about 40 cents per air-tite).
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2008  8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AtiGAti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
robert18, the three ring binder pages you were talking about to put the 2x2's in...are the holes in the 2x2 certain sizes(preset) or can I make my own? The reason I ask is because I have a great deal of foreign coins and would like to put them in to the binder.
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2008  11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GFR3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
^^ Yes they are. They come in all the standard issue US sizes (Cent all the way up to Large Dollar) I think I heard there are Candian sizes too, which leads me to believe they are avaiable in many nations. For my foreigns (mainly canadian and Swiss) I just use the 2x2 closest in size--canadian penny=us penny, swiss 10 rappen=us penny, swiss 20 rappen=us nickel etc.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
2826 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2008  11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G'day, if you look around, 2x2 come with holes in 2.5mm increments, from 17.5 to 37.5 mm. I've also seem in 39mm, for Crowns & similar, but that's the biggest opening that I've seen. And, at that size, the structure seems a bit flimsy. Everything smaller is fine.
I've found that thick coins don't fit into the size you might expect, and I have to go up one increment.
If you use 2x2, you'd be well-advised to look out for a "flat-clinch stapler" to close them with. I had to hunt around, but I found one for less than $10 in a good stationers.
The albums are great for display: generally, 20 pockets per page.
You can also get smaller "wallets" with six pockets per page: great for taking a few coins to a meeting.
For coins that you want to store, rather than display, I found that well-know brand of tackle-box, manufactured in Illinois, has a model that holds 2x2 just perfectly, with the lid closed. These are robust, and I can stack a few boxes on top of one another.
There are other options for 2x2 storage, but the important thing is to get your coins into the holder, to protect them from drops, bumps, etc.
Peter in Oz
Edited by Peter THOMAS
03/30/2008 11:38 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05