Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 Red Book.. To buy or not

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2008  11:24 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mvc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a 2006 Red Book. Is there any compelling reason to buy the newest version? What have they added?

Thanks

Pillar of the Community
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2008  05:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ken_3567 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not really, the prices in those are only a baseline (or approximation) and does not always represent the current value of the coin but gives you just enough to know ballbark numbers. I like it because it has basic info about U.S. coins in a pretty compact format and how much does that info change? I typically swap out guides every three years.
United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2008  07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this what do I buy a hard cover every year and a soft cover every 2 years that I use the hard cover are still in box's they came in
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2008  09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add small change to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only reason I can think of is that it shows mintages for some of the coins that you won't have in your older book.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2008  10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mvc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" The only reason I can think of is that it shows mintages for some of the coins that you won't have in your older book."

Right, and I can get that anywhere so I can not think of any other reason as I do not collect the books.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13141 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2008  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy several every year. I keep one hard cover for my collection and two ringed ones for around the house. Then I purchase whatever is the cheapest for Christmas Presents. Again, usually the ringed, soft cover version.
There are some really great reasons for you to buy the 2009 edition. With it you can see that Whitman still has no idea of what coin prices are. I'ts fun to look through this book for all the errors, oversights, mistakes and report it to Whitman. Proves nothing but fun. Then of course the more books you buy the more they will publish making it easier for someone to find at a flea market for $1 in the near future. One of the primary reasons to buy the Red Book is with each purchase you can look into a mirror and say I just helped some people at Whitman keep their jobs. See the more they sell the more they'll make and the less people will be layed off. Now if you don't buy that book and they lay people off that will collect unemployment compensation money, remember that is money you supported with your taxes. So in essence if you don't buy that book, you'll pay for it anyway.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2008  3:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j-easy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what would be a better alternative?
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2008  4:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lucky_13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an 08 and I dont plan to buy another one until 2010
Learn More...
United States
22108 Posts
 Posted 04/10/2008  6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am tempted to get the 2009 (my newest is 2007) because I got a B&N gift-card from my wife's aunt (the only other numismatist in my family, extended or otherwise).

She was the person that bought me my 2007 and she knew the 2009 was coming out. My birthday is in October and my anniversary in May. What else could she have been thinking? I best take the hint and use part of it for the new Red Book, right?
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2008  05:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I find it difficult to understand the reluctance to purchase a new RedBook each year. The cost is minimal. You and a friend can barely go to McDonalds for less. And it is interesting to compare the books from year to year to see the changes. And there are changes. It just seems like a no-brainer to me.

As for the price info in the book, sure it is out of date by the time you get it. However it is valuable for noting trends in the prices of coins. And it is good for noting the difference in prices between coins--this coin is about double the price of this one, etc.
Edited by rohumpy
04/14/2008 05:35 am
Valued Member
United States
473 Posts
 Posted 04/15/2008  01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GFR3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Normally I would say buy it, because it is probably worth the few bucks (consider it as one less coin you buy this year). However, i'll be skipping it this year. Call me stubborn all you want, but I refuse to buy the 2009 version in April 2008 when I just bought the 2008 version in January! I'll sit this year out and wait for 2010...which will probably be released by Christmas hehe
Pillar of the Community
United States
3084 Posts
 Posted 04/30/2008  04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say wait a year and buy the previous year's book on uber sale at Boarders for $2. Rinse and repeat each year.
Taiwan
39 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2008  10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ColinG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think you need to buy a new Red Book every year. Three to four years is okay. Instead buy another book. The Red Book is perhaps the Bible for US coin collectors but there are plenty of specialized book dealers which stock unusual titles. Most prices can be found online from the archives of the big auction houses.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1786 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2008  3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pyrbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it depends on what you use the RedBook for. They do put new things in each year. For instance the 2009 now has a section about bluebooks and their values. So if you collect Redbooks and Bluebooks then maybe you will want the 2009. If you only use the RedBook for mintages and coin alloys and weights then every couple of years is fine.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05