Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 Australian Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 Australian Coins, Bank Notes, and Paper Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

1943 Australia penny question.

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
JOE
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  03:26 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JOE to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have a quick question about this coin I found in a "Grab bag" of ancient coins at my local coin dealership, I was curious of what the value of this coin might be.

I'm pretty sure the value is probably around 5$ or 10$, But when I saw this auction on eBay, My heart kinda skipped a beat when I looked at the bids for it, It's the same coin, Just a different year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1946-australian...NE_W0QQitemZ280222819106QQihZ018QQcategoryZ39394QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So I was just wondering what the value of this coin would be, Here are some pictures.

Sorry about the photo quality (I've been procrastinating on getting a better camera)

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
839 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  03:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spedward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lol JOE yeh the other coin that was worth a lot on eBay with a diffferent year was the 1946 penny, the 3rd rarest penny after 1930 and 1925, it might be second though, either one. The 1946 one has a mintage of jsut over 300 000 hence its price.

Yours has a mintage of either 11 107 000, 33 086 000 or 9 000 000.

None of them are scarce dates, try ahve a look to see if there is a mintmark after the Y in penny, if it is a . it was struck in perth, with a mintage of 33 086 000, If it has an I, it was struck in India, with a mintage of 9 000 000, if it has none, it was struck in Melbourne, I think, with a mintage of 11 107 000.

According to Australian coins and banknotes by Greg McDonald

They are all worth 50c in very good, $1 in fine, $6 in very fine (most likely yours), in extra fine the plain one is $28 and the other 2 are $25. Then the prices differ more as the grade goes up. (Those prices are Australian $$$$$)
Edited by Spedward
05/07/2008 03:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
839 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  03:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spedward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the look of yours I think it is a dot . after the Y in PENNY, so yours was struck in perth. So yours could range from $6 to $25 (Austalian)
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the great (terrible?) thing about Australian pennies. One year can be worth a fortune; 1930 in Fine, $27,000, and 1931 in Fine $12.

Unfortunately this is one of the more common years, it is a Melbourne mint penny, value between $1 - $6 in latest guide, as Spedward said.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
839 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spedward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
latman it might be a perth one though, cause I can kind of make out a dot after the Y.

but its still worth pretty much the same IN THIS CONDITION.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
839 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spedward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Keep looking tho Joe! You might get lucky.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
655 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Learjet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The verdigris kinda kills any value over melt.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
839 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  04:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spedward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeh, but heres not very much, then again it spreads...
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  05:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spedward you may be right, hard to tell from the pic. I would have thought the dot would be a little more obvious, but then again, the Perth Mint war year coins were notoriously weakly struck. And yeah, the green gunk is a kind of downer.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
839 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  07:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spedward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeh well I can't tell if it's a dot or not? but it looks like a tiny bump, it's definatly there but I don't know if it's a mintmark or jsut something else.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
Australia
11054 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An Australian coin in a grab-bag of ancients?

Hmmm. Must've been from a Rex Gilroy fan. [cue "Twilight Zone" music...]
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar Of The Community
5318 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"If it has an I, it was struck in India"

OK, I must be clueless--but where do I look for the "I" on the roo pennies?

I keep looking for the '46 in the bargain boxes! I've found a 1915, 1917, 1918 1d, 1939 roo 1/2d, 1924 1/2d, but darn--no 25 1d or 23 1/2d yet!
Valued Member
United States
164 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JOE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone for helping me identify this coin, I had a feeling it would not be worth as much as the one on eBay, :( Ah well.

Oh, And looking at the coin, I'm pretty sure that there is a dot after the Y in penny, And I also see another type of mark below the last A in Australia, It appears to be a small star symbol with the number 6 beside it.

Oh and about the grab bag I got it from, The coin store in my area sells "Grab bags" of acient pennys for $19,99, I've found coins that come from all over the globe in these bags, I even have a coin from the USSR, hehe.
Formerly nancyc
Australia
3667 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joe, What appears to be a small star symbol with the number 6 beside it will be the designers initials: KG

KurtS, The I is on the Obv almost in line with & under the point of the King's neck, but close to the rim denticles.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.

Nancy
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
839 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Spedward to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So many things to look out for on these pennys.

Kurt you won't find many with the I mintmark, because there was only a few years they were struck in India.
Pillar Of The Community
5318 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2008  7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spedward--that's good to know!
I have the 1917 I and 1918 I pennies, but wasn't aware of '42-43 I.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05