Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coins found. What are they worth?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

3 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2006  04:07 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mattski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hey everyone.

Im new to this forum but I joined because I recently found a bag FULL of Australian Pennies inside a tyre that was under the house we just moved into, and dont have a clue where to go to get them valued.

There are nearly 100 coins all up all ranging from 1911 - 1946. I sorted them and they are all Australian One pennies. Some duplicates.

I have one of every year from 1911 - 1946 of the Aussie One Pennies (except 1925).

Are any of these worth anything?

They are all in pretty good condition with a little bit of discolouration.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2006  04:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the CCF Matt......

Congrats are in order to your find. It is not possible to advise what your pennies are worth without looking at them. The 1946 is worth a few dollars and if in an uncirculated grade it jumps to a couple of thousand.

Are you a member of eBay If you are, log onto the coin auctions and look at past bidding histories of each coin and make a comparison with the ones you have.

If not, you can always post good scans ( 2 or 3 at a time)here and we will do our best to assist you.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2006  04:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A warm welcome to this great forum.

I agree with Lim post some pictures and more then happy to help. otherwise eBay is a great source of info.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1251 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2006  05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add humpybong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Mattski. Hope you enjoy your stay and participate in many threads.

Ok lets see aussie pennies.....

First where are you, your listing does not give your country, so I presume its Australia.

Second if you have every penny from 1911 to 1946 (except 1925) then you must have a 1930 penny.

What condition are the pennies in, need a decription otherwise it is hard to value.

Forum Kid
Kuwait
1523 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2006  06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add thekidcollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to this forum!
Pics would be lovly so we can estimate a grade.
Learn More...
Australia
11237 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2006  06:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your best bet right now might well be to buy or borrow a catalogue and look them up. The Renniks catalogue should be available in local libraries, which also contains a brief grading guide. If you're having trouble grading, scan a couple of them and post pictures in the grading section of the forum for opinions.

Most dealers buy common date, typical circulation predecimal bronze coins by the kilo. If you're going to sell them, fish the less common dates and coins in better condition out beforehand. Mind you, the catalogue price lists what a collector would pay for a coin from a dealer, not necessarily what a dealer will pay you for yours.

If any of the coins have the nasty "green death" of verdigris (which is likely if they've been under the house for decades), pull those out too - unless they're 1930, they're not likely to be worth anything at all.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
3 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  01:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mattski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again.

None of my coins have any green on them. I took them to a local coin dealer and he said they weren't worth much, but he offered me $500 for my 1930. I dint want to sell it until I found more about it.

Heres some pics

Edited by Mattski
03/30/2006 02:01 am
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  02:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not an expert on fake 1930 pennies.

So all I will say is if it is a genuine 1930 penny in EF catelogue says $120 000.

Mind you all depending on the interest at anyone time this price will change.

What ever you do, do not sell it for $500 untill it is confirmed fake or genuine.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  02:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are in Brisbane I can reccommend a few dealers for some honest advice.

Do you mind me asking which dealer offered you $500?
3 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  02:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mattski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He is a local guy, I live in bendigo in victoria
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  02:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope its real Mattski
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1091 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add toast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even a good fake 1930, sold as a fake will fetch a couple hundred dollars on eBay. So the 1930 is the pick of the bunch. As KLD say, don't sell it quick. If you do want to sell it, Downies are one auction house that will get you what it's worth, they may be in Melbourne but it's worth the trip IF it's genuine.
Learn More...
Australia
11237 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  03:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like it could be the real deal, and a genuine 1930 penny in that condition is indeed worth many thousands. If the latest date in the hoard is 1946, that could be a clue as to when the hoard was squirrelled away. The extreme rareness of 1930 pennies wasn't even discovered until about then (it's suspected they sat in a box at the Mint until the War), and the number of serious collectors of Australian coins in the country in 1946 you could count on two hands.

It's either a genuine hoard with a genuine 1930 penny in it, or a very cleverly planted fake. Right now, my money's on genuine, but it should be verified.

Here's a link to Downies shop address and email if you're interested. Here is the page of pennies from their last auction, which includes three 1930 pennies. None of these ones are in as good a condition as yours seems to be. One of the ones sold there was a "new find", from a church in NSW, so it does happen!
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  03:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is genuine, boy o boy what a find.

Valued Member
Australia
281 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grendelfreak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If its the real deal, you might just have paid off your house with that one coin...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1091 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2006  04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add toast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Mattski

They are all in pretty good condition with a little bit of discolouration.
[quote]

By the way,
DO NOT CLEAN THE COINS !
Taking away the discoloration (tone) of the coin will devalue the coin dramatically.
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05