Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please identify these two | Israeli telephone tokens

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  09:55 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JayDon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I.m having trouble with these two. Thanks for any help!

Identified - moved to Token forum - Sap

Pillar of the Community
Poland
2146 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  10:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DL20K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They look like Israeli telephone tokens to me.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JayDon62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that makes some sense. I found them in my Father in Law's stuff after he passed away and he worked for Bell telephone/AT&T all his life. THANKS for the insight!
United States
917 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wetglaswegian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does make absolute sense...until we consider the apparantly arabic script and the John Deere tractor logo...whats that all about I wonder ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11098 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  3:52 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That isn't Arabic, it is Hebrew...
ANA R-3151318
United States
917 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wetglaswegian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any idea what it says Biokemist?
Pillar of the Community
United States
671 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sir Ferrari to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, these coins are in fact Israeli telephone tokens, and the language is indeed Hebrew. These types of tokens were used until the late 1980s, and are very common to find.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11098 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  5:08 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I cannot read Hebrew, I can just recognize it but another thread addresses that subject. As for the symbol, that belongs to the Israel Postal Company.

This is the modern logo of Doar Israel. I am not quite sure of the postal service connection to payphones but the mail and phone service both fall under the Ministry of Communication so there may be some governmental connection.
ANA R-3151318
United States
917 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2009  10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wetglaswegian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting link , so there is Arabic on the token as id originally said , both Arabic and Hebrew.Cool wee token , thanks guys.
Learn More...
Australia
11111 Posts
 Posted 07/31/2009  10:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These tokens are also dated, using the Hebrew calendar; the date alphanumerals are on either side of the deer logo. As it turns out, both of these have the same date: Year 5741, equivalent to 1981 AD.

Despite being the same date, they're clearly different die varieties; the size and shape of the numerals on the "dial-side" and the size of the spacing between the two Hebrew words are distinctly different.

Quote:
biokemist6 said:
...I am not quite sure of the postal service connection to payphones but the mail and phone service both fall under the Ministry of Communication so there may be some governmental connection...

In many countries, the government-owned telephone system was initially established and operated by the government-owned postal system, both telephone and post being government-subsidized forms of communication. In most such countries, the two systems have now been split, with the telephone systems now operated privately (and often owned by large multinational telcos) with the government maintaining control of the postal system.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Israel
50 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2013  7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AJL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Israel phone tokens had many versions. In the 1950's they were brass and round with a whole. Twice the diameter of these. Later came these, on the front says telephone and on the back Dept of Communications. Later came one from Bezek, the local phone company. There are many different versions of these tokens. The basic count is about 15 types. Looking closely you can find 100+ types including mistakes...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.23 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05