Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Post Your Toned Coins!

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 31
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2181 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2010  2:28 pm  Show Profile Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing everyone. You guys have great coins. I have quite a few but haven't find the time to put them up yet.... hopefully soon.
*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade.
My coins for sale
Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
6715 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2010  2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moe145 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One I just got today: 1835 Capped Bust Half Dollar

Taken at more of an angle:

Links to ALL previous "Days of..." Threads:
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...08352#108352
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2010  6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add maxie62209 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a mention of officially recognized toning particular to the Lincoln cent:

"...When the Lincoln Cent was introduced in 1909, it was discovered that the coining dies and their curved fields were unable to be polished to proof coining condition by existing Mint equipment. In order to produce Proof coinage for collectors, the US Mint adopted the French technique of the Matte Proof, which was thought to highlight the design, while leaving the details of the coin as the designer intended. This was done by a sandblasting of the dies, prior to use. When struck by the high pressure hydraulic press of the Philadelphia Mint Medal Room, the result was a semi-rough surface, a gentle luster and strongly defined wide square rims. These coins were produced in very small numbers, and the dies quickly developed small marks, known as diagnostics. These marks are used today by Third Party Graders and Collectors to authenticate the coin. Sold for mere pennies over face during the years of production, they were not popular with collectors. When new, the coins were wrapped in a tarnish proof tissue, which over time proved to be anything but. Since many of these coins sat for decades unsold, vivid colors and toning developed. It is not unusual to see vivid blues, greens, lavender, coppery orange, deep reds and purple hues on these coins. Eagerly collected by numismatists today, they are among the most valuable Lincoln cents."
---Wikipedia: Search for "Penny"
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2010  07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and a few more

Pillar Of The Community
United States
11124 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2010  10:46 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CARE™ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11124 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2010  10:55 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
11124 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2010  02:09 am  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
973 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2010  11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2000 ASE. I bought this coin in 2000 and it has been kept in a flip. Pretty heavily toned.

Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2010  6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guitarmonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I must be retarded...I just dont get the toned thing...to me,after reading descriptions of how to grade coins it seems to me that toned coins are damaged coins.But Im keeping an open mind,I will agree some of the coins are pretty cool! I just dont think they should be worth a premium just because they are toned...they should be worth less.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2010  6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guitarmonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After my last post Im sure I will be kicked off the forum....but...its the 4th of july....freedom of speech!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2010  7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Gorgeous Lincolns Thad, and nice Silver Eagles, jprine and Metalman!

Quote:

I must be retarded...I just dont get the toned thing...to me,after reading descriptions of how to grade coins it seems to me that toned coins are damaged coins.But Im keeping an open mind,I will agree some of the coins are pretty cool! I just dont think they should be worth a premium just because they are toned...they should be worth less.

I'm sure you won't get kicked off the forum. It's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. However, the opinions of many others are different and natural toning does not damage the coins. Natural and attractive toning will always command a premium. Look on eBay and other sites and you can see common date toned Morgans selling for multiples of their blast white counterparts due to the high demand for toners.
Valued Member
United States
155 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2010  10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Myst to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reading through threads like this is the coin equivalent of sittin on the beach watching the pretty girls walk by
Edited by Myst
07/04/2010 10:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2010  11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratio411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about some champagne... Vintage 1950 Denver.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3489 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2010  11:55 pm  Show Profile Check chuckster 125's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chuckster 125 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Absolutely beautiful coins!

Here is one of my favorite coins - a 1989P Jefferson Nickel.

Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2010  2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guitarmonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have noticed that toned coins are very hot on eBay and at auction houses,going for some pretty high premiums,but I think its a fad,just like I collect guitars too and the fad right now is buying new guitars that appear to be aged with artificial means of making them look vintage.Its a fad right now and pretty soon people well come to their sences and stop paying high prices for these items. Ok...I will kick myself off now! LOL
Page: of 31 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05