Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Toned Coins!

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 32
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Couple of Franklins.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3578 Posts
 Posted 03/04/2012  9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another toned Morgan I picked up several years ago.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2012  10:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two more 50D's. Any ideas about the blue toning, the coins are in flips, gun safe with a pretty good dehumidifier. They were clean when I got them.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1009 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HONDO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jprine, that is a VERY nice type II Franklin you have there. Only about %20 of business strikes from this year are type II and this is a great example.
Hang onto that one for sure! Or send it to me...
Learn More...
United States
21302 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two beautiful nickels, jprine!
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1568 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add unholyroller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a guess...if you have guns in the safe.....gun powders have many compounds in them that might be causing it. If you have black powder in there, it has many sulphur compounds that could cause it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2182 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  2:47 pm  Show Profile Check SA4H's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SA4H to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
unholyroller may be right. How long have those nickels been in there?

I may try to get a gun safe and some gun powders just to have my coins tone like your ..... hehehehe
*+*Bruce*+*
My coins available for trade.
My coins for sale
Coins I want/need.
"Living to Learn, Not Learning to Live!"
Yet, I'm learning to live more than living to learn!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1029 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both of the 50D's have been in the safe for about a year, I have about 20 of them, but these two are the only ones toning. Both are in stapled flips, and a closed nickel box. There is a small amount of ammo (in the guns) but most is kept elsewhere. I think I will take the ammo out of the guns to at least eliminate that as a possibility.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3904 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you've used the guns at all before, at a range or something, there could be some residue or something left in them too.
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2012  7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tmaring to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some of my fantasy coins rainbow toned. These are all .999 fine silver, and these are all from one batch. You can see there's a wide variety of results, but some of them are absolutely mind-blowing!

I think I am beginning to get a handle on the chemistry involved.

This is the silver pfennig of Eddard Stark. It weighs one pennyweight (1 dwt) of .999 fine silver (1.6 grams, or 1/20 troy ounce). Eddard is the character played by Sean Bean in the HBO series A GAME OF THRONES currently playing. I happen to be the sole licensee for making coins related to the stories. Current mintage of this coin stands at 574 pieces, of which only 300 are rainbow toned. Of that 300 only ten of the ones centered up in this photo have subjectively graded as grade-1 toning. Most are grade 2, and grade 3 just get rubbed with a polishing cloth to take it off.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3508 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2012  8:21 pm  Show Profile Check muddler's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't believe I have missed this old thread. I just reviewed it and did not fine any of my coins so here are a few.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1313 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2012  01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Eng5858 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Gang,

How about 1957 P gem BU original roll Roosevelt toned on each end, blazing white in the middle..
The end coins have blue tone, photo could be better...

Pontius Pilate asked "What is Truth"
XRISTUS IHSUS Says " You Shall know the Truth and the Truth Shall make you Free"
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2012  11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jdbooth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow what an old thread! There are a lot of impressive pictures of toned coins posted here. I will post mine as soon as I can. I hope to photograph full range of colors in my pictures, but I have not had too much success in the past photographing toned coins and capturing their toning, at least not the way I would like.

Wish me luck.
Edited by jdbooth
05/30/2012 10:07 pm
Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2012  04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jdbooth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here we go. Hope you all enjoy the slide show.

Valued Member
United States
236 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2012  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jdbooth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What? No comments? Not too many pictures at once? Do the pictures look good or bad? Did you like the 1972 DDO I snuck into the bunch?

Nothing at all?
Edited by jdbooth
05/31/2012 2:19 pm
Page: of 32 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05