Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Modern Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Post Your Toned Coins!

Previous Page | Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 31
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2009  6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lizzyjo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toning is caused by exposure to hydrogen sulfide (H2S). The sulfur reacts with the metal surface to form the corresponding metal + sulfur. Light refracts differently based on the thickness of the layer. It's kind of like how light + water droplets form a rainbow. The book Coin Chemistry details H2S and its role in toning very well, it's worth a read.

Thanks a LOT for this information, BadThad! I've been wanting to know the chemical process that creates a toned coin. I will definitely check out this book.

I'm jealous of everyone's toned coins. They are all so pretty!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2529 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2009  10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gothic Florin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
maaaaaaaaaan there is some nice stuff coming out here!!

I picked up a 1964 Mexican Peso at a coin store in El Paso this week. I believe it's 10% silver and it BU with some toning on it. The guy only wanted $2 for it, so I said SOLD. Of course, I'm sure he would rather I had purchased the slabbed 1916-D Merc or 1893-S Morgan he had. If you guys like toned coins, check out http://www.islandcoins.com (I have no affiliation to this site). I'm contemplating buying something from there. Has anyone dealt with them before?
Oldest Found:

Cent: 1899 - Two Cents: 1867 - Nickel: 1916
Dime: 1943 - Quarter: 1964 - Half: 1917

Canadian silver:
Quarter 1966
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2009  10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never heard of them, but they seem to carry a lot of really nice coins, I especially like their wheat cents and morgans. They also seem to sell on eBay, their seller ID is islandcoins.
Edited by wheatguy
09/22/2009 10:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2009  11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nelrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few cents of mine that are toned:

My 1909-S VDB:

My 1909 Matte Proof:

My ungraded 1931-S:

My 1936 Brilliant Proof:

My 1883 Proof Indian:

And my most recent purchase my 1883 Proof Dime:

Edited by Nelrak
09/23/2009 11:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2009  1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is the Buffalo slabbed?

Wheatman, it's currently entombed in a PCGS ms65 slab.

Has anyone dealt with them (Island Coins) before?

Gothic Florin, I have dealt with Gary (Island Coins) on several occasions (both buying and selling), and can honestly say he is one of the good guys. Two thumbs up!

Pillar Of The Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2009  1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyboby like slq's?
1928 ngc ms67 with a green bean

Have a single Wheat cent, too. Got it from the Heritage dispersal of Anaconda Rare coins inventory.......with the awful pics they had it looked black, and I paid the princely sum of 9 bucks for this piece.
1956 ngc ms66

Pillar Of The Community
United States
571 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2009  3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Podoprigora to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that 1909-S VDB is gorgeous
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2009  5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dcrews to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1954 Franklin Half:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2009  5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acidic1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
dcrews. On behalf of all awesome franklins around the world...thanks for wearing gloves.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2009  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of my Indians. There really is some nice toning that isn't in the picture, and it looks like there's toning on the rim. Those are some really amazing coins, Nelrak and Hadleydog. I especially like the proof indian and that SLQ. That FRanklins really nice too, Dcrews.

Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10891 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2009  12:41 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I question the toning on the last two Morgans but I am pretty sure everything else is natural
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
09/24/2009 11:00 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3015 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2009  12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Archraz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
biokemist6- hmmm, Just how did that washington's Birthplace Memorial coin become toned like that?
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10891 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2009  10:59 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The BTW commemorative was glued to a cardboard holder, the white area is where the glue was(removed with acetone) and the toned area was directly touching the cardboard.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2009  12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hadleydog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I question the toning on the last two Morgans but I am pretty sure everything else is natural

The 81 and 98 are most likely at'd, the colors and progressions are not right.
That '21 Morgan of yours is a moose for the date. Sweet!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
632 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2009  1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acidic1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm just gonna head off the NT vs AT argument. Lets not care HOW it got toned...just that it IS toned and beautiful.
Page: of 31 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05