Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Jewish/Hebrew Coin/Round | Second Pentacle of Mars amulet

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
94 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2009  12:39 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Kiwi_Bird to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Can someone tell me what this is? I posted it in the exonumia forum and I think I stumped everyone. What does it say? Any clue as to the value, year, weight, mint, metal purity? It's obviously a Jewish coin but have no clue about it other than that. It looks silver to me. I got this in a batch of coins I bought cheaply.

Identified at last - moved back to Exonumia forum - Sap

Edited by Kiwi_Bird
10/04/2009 12:41 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11168 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2009  02:20 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am pretty sure that is not an Israeli coin- there is no denomination or date. Israeli coins also typically have some Arabic script, I believe that it all appears to be Hebrew. It is some type of token or medallion and probably quite easy to figure out if I could read Hebrew
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
1360 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2009  06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zohar444 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read Hebrew and I can not make sense of this. Perhaps its Aramaic or some form of Yiddish.
Inside each corner of the star of David there is the Hebrew letter H indicating God.
Not very clear this one.
Learn More...
United States
14528 Posts
 Posted 10/04/2009  10:45 am  Show Profile Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could it be some type of Qabalistic token?
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2011  10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add madlou22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh I dont remember how to read hebrew from my barmitzvah 2 years ago... Looks like an israeli coin to me, and it has the star of david aswell. Cool to see other Jewish members :P
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2011  11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
zohar, not all the letters are H's. I know it's kind of hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure some of those are daleds with vowels.
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2011  12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
in the middle, I believe, you have hebrew "yahweh" at the top, and "elochim" at the bottom, with two random letters, presumably signifying something, in between.
Learn More...
Australia
11380 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2011  08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Could it be some type of Qabalistic token?

Echizento was right, way back then. On another thread where this one was also used to illustrate the discussion, Angielczyk posted the answer and I never noticed it. To quote myself from the answer I just posted in the other thread:

Quote:
Sap said:
The particular lettering around the star is a mystic/occult magic symbol derived from Kabbalistic traditions, called the "second pentacle of Mars". Googling that exact phrase will come up with dozens of trinket-sellers who will sell you one, usually for an exorbitant price, mostly made of "lead-free pewter" though most of the ones on offer appear to be mass-produced copies-of-copies-of-copies with little or none of the original detail surviving.

Quote:
Zohar444 said:
Inside each corner of the star of David there is the Hebrew letter H indicating God.

oblakavshtanax said:
zohar, not all the letters are H's. I know it's kind of hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure some of those are daleds with vowels.

That's part of the deterioration I was talking about. They are indeed all supposed to be the Hebrew letter H, but this is a second-or-third-generation copy and some of the letters have morphed. This phenomenon probably also explains why none of our Hebrew scholars are having much luck in trying to read it.

Which sort of defeats the whole purpose, if you ask me. I mean, if the thing is actually supposed to work as a magic spell or charm (most of the trinket-sellers claim it will ward off disease), surely what it actually says is important.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
Australia
11380 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2011  08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Specifically, these "pentacles" are derived from the Key of Solomon, a late mediaeval Kabbalistic compilation.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
754 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2011  10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oblakavshtanax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes but like a lot of things in hebrew, when you are missing vowels you just have to know what's missing--ie you have to already know what it says. any kabbalist would probably be able to discern its meaning.

also, even if they are supposed to be hays in each star-point, the dots in the middle of the daleds are way to well rendered, so someone must have messed up.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2011  7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add robizzle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there. Heres the thing I have the same coin and I have question I hope you can help me.
Learn More...
Australia
11380 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2011  06:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure. What's your question?
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2011  10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add robizzle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any knowledge you might have on this coin would be apreciated. All we know is that we found it in bulgaria and we can't find any information on it.
Learn More...
Australia
11380 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2011  6:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, what we know about it has already been posted - it isn't a coin, it's an occultic/spiritualist/kabbalistic healing charm. The design of the star-side is taken from the "Keys of Solomon", a mediaeval Kabbalistic (Jewish-derived esoteric teachings) text. See here for an English version of the text, with a translation of what the inscriptions are supposed to read.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2012  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aceja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found an exact coin just like this at an ACTS retreat in kerville texas, by the river.
Pillar of the Community
United States
636 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2012  4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tokenmast to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You again SAP that is a KEY link
The coin is a force, TFDwall. TrueField Detective . CR.TM... Tools and Instruments. Testing> Counterfeit-silver/off metal.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsShop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05