Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937 Australian one crown silver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2009  04:55 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I just bought a 1937 Australia one crown coin, knowing its a replica at a very very cheap price, just to study under a microscope.
Now I would like to buy a REAL 1937-38 one crown. I now know what to look for to avoid replicas, but what do I look for to confirm it's a genuine? thank you for the advise

Learn More...
Australia
11107 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2009  08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You now know what to look for to spot those particular types of replicas, but the only way to have confidence in telling fake from fair dinkum is to become very familiar with the genuine article. Lacking that, your best bet is to buy from a trustworthy source.

Just as the best place to buy genuine US coins is to buy from American sellers, the best place to buy Australian coins is from Australian sellers. If you want to go that route, you might want to try starting a thread in the "wanted to buy" section, with a link to this thread. Some of the Aussie members here might be happy to help you out (sorry, I don't have a spare one at the moment). 1937 crowns are typically trading at around AU$25 to $30 each here in Australia.

As for general tests of genuineness, I can only offer the usual list given for any type of coin: weight, magnet, specific gravity, edge, appearance. If they all match, then it's a reasonable chance the coin is genuine; while a fake coin can appear to match all of these, it just isn't worth the counterfeiter's while to do so for a coin with as little numismatic value as the '37 crown.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2009  09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks sap! info and detailed comments on estimated price much appreciated. will post both pics when I get a real one, thanks again
Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2009  3:35 pm  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And, Also look out for a 1938 crown too. But being much smaller mintage fetch much higher price -going for arount $120 to $150 on eBay presently.
I am negotiating for an old lot of coins from a deceased estate and mostly nothing special but there is a 1938 crown. If I get the lot I will probably sell off most but....do I keep the crown or sell it

Jeff
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
Edited by Jeff
11/10/2009 3:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2750 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2009  03:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
just a note for SAP: I have a fake 1937 Crown, and very good appearance it is, too.
But, it's magnetic, and only 19 grams.
Apparently, someone thought that they are worth faking ...
Peter, in Darwin
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1040 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2009  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add latman100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I used to think they weren't worth faking, not valuable enough, until someone pointed out that in 1937, they were probably worth faking.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2750 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2009  7:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... in 1939, an Australian soldier was paid 6 shillings per day, same as in 1918.
The rate of pay was increased during WW2, but it gives you an idea.
Peter
Pillar of the Community
Philippines
1154 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2009  9:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nic to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sharing the pics of the 1937 replica obtained equivalent of us$1 for the learning process:
it is silver-plated, I scraped it off at the Rev, it can be magnetized, has no mintmarks, bad overall texture on closeup, a lot of casting small "pimples" and feels greasy to the touch

I now bring a small weak magnet and 10x magnifying glass, whenever attending a coin dealer's fair.

Pillar of the Community
Australia
869 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2009  04:05 am  Show Profile Check Jeff's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Jeff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have made the deal and a genuine (I am well sure and certainly hope so) 1938 crown has been listed for sale. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...RK:MESELX:IT. I would like to keep it but I am under pressure for spending too much on coins and then not selling many!

Jeff
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, look at the people He gives it to." Joe Moore
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05