Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

ANACS bad experience

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2009  2:36 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add leonardpusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

ANACS website just deleted their Authentication Only service minutes ago, for what? Its for ME.
I sent my coins for this service 20 days ago, ANACS finally done yesterday with detailed grading. Thanks for their work but sorry that is NOT what I want! I called ANACS, they told me they dont have this kind service and then deleted it from their website.
How ridiculous it is, why do you put this on you service list but you dont do this? In addition, you could call/email me to inform me during your grading period.
I try to email James Taylor at James.Taylor@ANACS.com, but no reply yet.
How can I do? This is my 1st time sending coins for grading, bad experience.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11112 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2009  3:30 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You say that this is your first time sending coins in for grading but you wanted an "Authentication Only" service which is not the same as grading and slabbing. I was under the impression that ANACS discontinued the "Authentication Only" service years ago. ANACS started out as an authenticator in 1972 when it was owned by the ANA but it is a full fledged TPG now. When coins are graded, they are authenticated first, graded, and then slabbed. ANACS charges between $10 and $100/coin for that service depending on the type of coin and quantity submitted. "Authentication Only" is almost worthless in today's coin market as value is really driven by the grade, the small difference in an AU58 vs MS62/3 can amount to thousands of dollars for some coins. Of course, part of this financial dilemma has been created by the TPGs themselves but it is what it is and its too late to go back to Good, Fine, and Unc generalized coin grades.
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
11/06/2009 3:36 pm
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2009  5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leonardpusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks biokemist6, good to know some about grading...

Speaking of Authentication Only, ANACS indeed had this service before TODAY. Their brief explanation of Authentication Only was Tier Price, Will be designated 'Genuine'. These coins will be encapsulated as genuine in the ANACS Genuine Holder.

This service definitely meets requirement of some customers like me, who has dream to pursue scarce coins but can only afford fair condition ones with limited budget. We simply want to make sure what we bought is genuine and might resell with good money later.
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2009  10:15 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would just like to reply that LeonardPusher's claims appears to be accurate. (Not that I doubted you, Leonard!)

I just searched for "anacs genuine holder" on Google. In addition to the current ANACS home page, I also selected the 'cached' page from 11/01/09. As of 11/01/09, ANACS was advertising a 'genuine' service. Six days later, they are not!

I am completely unaware of the dispute between leonardpusher and ANACS. We have heard only one side of the story. If ANACS is honoring leonard's original request, there is no foul. If ANACS is giving him the runaround and asking for additional money, I would say they are playing shenanigans.

I welcome more information from both parties.

-wheatiefan
Learn More...
United States
2555 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2009  10:30 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And right under the ANACS home page (number 2 in google for those search words) is this topic How's THAT for search engine optimization! (really, Bobby, I need to ask you some questions..)

And yep, as stated by wheatiefan, right there under "Addtional Services" on the November 1st cached version:

Quote:
Authentication Only | Tier Price | Will be designated 'Genuine'

Now.. businesses change their models all the time. But at the least, you need to take care of your customers who were expecting a certain level of service. ANACS' correct move here would be to either honor the original agreement, or call the submitter of the coins, explain the problem and ask what they would like to do... at the very least, maybe at least ship the coins back for free or give another service because of the non-existent notice of service change.

I would, of course, welcome the 'other side' of the coin and hear ANACS' version of this very interesting issue.
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/06/2009  11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leonardpusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks wheatiefan and xshilf...I'd like to hear ANACS too.

I happened to keep a print-out of ANACS service page on 10/08/9 only two days before I submitted my coins.

http://i38.tinypic.com/ixeaud.jpg
Learn More...
United States
16848 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2009  11:27 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I see a problem here.

Quote:
Their brief explanation of Authentication Only was Tier Price, Will be designated 'Genuine'. These coins will be encapsulated as genuine in the ANACS Genuine Holder.

In other words, you pay the same price as having the coin graded. It gets slabbed, just like a graded coin. ANACS still slabs problem coins; that verbiage is still listed under their service descriptions. What, exactly, is missing compared to the past? Is it that you don't want a grade on the slab, even if the coin is original and gradable?
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5471 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2009  11:52 am  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave has a valid point. Is it just that you wanted the word Genuine on the slab and nothing else?
Richard Barnes www.mycoins.us
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Coins for trade
http://www.mycoins.us/Trade/CCFtrades.htm
Learn More...
United States
2555 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2009  11:56 am  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is they listed it as a separate service called "Authentication Only" under the Additinoal Services section. He sent in coins for that service only, they in turn said they no longer did that, and deleted that entry from under Additional Services on their web page.

Sure, they will authenticate a problem coin and give a details grade, if you just want your coins graded like normal. which is what they did instead of the service he requested. Google anacs.com and compare the current "Additional Services" section with the cached version. The cached version will be updated by Google soon, I'm sure, so peek quick
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2009  6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leonardpusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We already assumed a coin is genuine when its graded, I have never seen a coin marked like Genuine MS65 RD. As I understand Authentication ONLY is a SEPERATE service, NO necessary putting grade or something else over there.

Anyway, good point, SuperDave, I dont see any right answer since ANACS did Not give clear definition.

However one thing is clear, its very tough to communicate with ANACS. They never get me back no matter how loud I shout to them...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2024 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2009  09:27 am  Show Profile Check trdhrdr007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a little confused. What was the reasoning behind getting the coins in a genuine slab as opposed to a graded slab if the cost was the same? The only reason I can think of was if you had a problem coin & didn't want the problem listed on the slab.
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2009  11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leonardpusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks trdhrdr007...only reason? Its more complicated than what you thinking on Authentication Only service, NO only reason Sir. Maybe not even gradable, maybe much lower grade than you expected...The problem of ANACS is that they dont give clear definition to Authentication Only or Genuine as PCGS did. (http://coins.about.com/od/coingradi...genuine.htm)

What I am complaining here is ANACS bad service, they first told me no Authentication ONLY service then they didnt get me back for any explanation.
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2009  11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hippiebrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still not seeing bad service here. I do see a mistake, as they discontinued a service and forgot to take it off their website, however if you only paid the authentication service money and got a free grading, I say more power to them! Sounds like good service to me...
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2009  2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leonardpusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's all right hippiebrain, but I caint say good at all if a company mistakenlly forgot something and arrogantly gave no explanation...
Pillar of the Community
United States
2024 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2009  7:58 pm  Show Profile Check trdhrdr007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thanks trdhrdr007...only reason? Its more complicated than what you thinking on Authentication Only service, NO only reason Sir. Maybe not even gradable, maybe much lower grade than you expected...The problem of ANACS is that they dont give clear definition to Authentication Only or Genuine as PCGS did.

I wasn't trying to be offensive. I'm pretty sure my post clearly states that it was the only reason I could think of. While I agree that ANACS should have done what they offered when you ordered, I'm still confused & curious. Maybe you could enlighten me.

It seems like the cost to authenticate was the same as the cost to authenticate plus assign a grade. Why exactly would you want to pay the same rate for what most people would consider a lesser level of service?
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2009  10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add leonardpusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No feeling offended...

I already stated the reason I chose Authentication Only in my previous post. I simply try to make sure some FAIR condition scarce coins I bought with good money from eBay are Genuine and I might resell them with good money later.

I dont see anything wrong if you question my intention. I know few about grading so I may misunderstand Authentication Only but again dont I deserve an explanation at all?

Tired of one side story? Id better go or move on...
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05