Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1936 "dot" dime.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Korea, Republic Of
3 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  09:57 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Cteve to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I would like to have some information about grading/authentication of a Canadian coin. When I was young and used to collect coins as a hobby my father gave me his collection (which part of it belong to his own father I believe) and among that collection feature many old Canadian dimes so I checked them closely and I noticed that the 1936 dime had some kind of "spot" at the bottom under the ribbon, I may think it's the famous "dot" but again, the coin is very used (looks like a Good-VG) so it's hard to actually see it unless you put the coin on a certain angle, then you can notice the small lump.

So my question is; Is there a place I can get this authenticated by professionals or perhaps by the Royal Mint of Canada itself? For that type of coin I really want an official certification, not some basement 3rd party guy authentication.

please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
859 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  11:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all....

I would call and send it to CCCS. They do a great job and are very personable to speak with..

Phone# 450-723-1204

Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.canadiancoincertificatio...php?c=6&lg=1

Can you post pictures to share with us...

Good Luck with your dime.....
Edited by D
03/09/2010 11:39 am
Korea, Republic Of
3 Posts
 Posted 03/09/2010  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cteve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks D23!

I will try that place by maybe sending them an email first. The only bad thing right now is that I do
not live in Canada anymore, I'm in South Korea. That means, I probably wont call them unless I comeback
to visit Montreal this summer. Actually, I'll pick up the coin along with the rest of my old collection at the
same time since all that is somewhere stored in a closet in my mom's house. For that same reason it
is impossible for me to provide you with pictures as Im not in posession of coin right now. Also, I think
with my current photo equipment it would be hard to set a good enough macro to show such a tiny detail
out of a dime! Anyway, im will be buying a new dedicated macro lens for my camera very soon so when
Ill be back to Canada Ill take a few detailed shots of what I believe is a "dot" right under the ribbon of that
1936 coin.

There is a funny story about that is that when I was young, around 12 y/o in 1988, I always attended the
philatelist/numismate exibition in my hometown of Boucherville. At the time I showed that coin to a few dealers
that were there and some of them barely look at the coin and said to me there was no dot... Now I do assume
thet were telling me NO considering I was a 12 year old boy showing up some coin and wasting their time. But
one dealer looked at it carefully and actually told me there was "something" there, so he offered to take
it from me for 25$ (25$ is was a huge sum for a 12y/o at the time) but I had a moment of
lucidity and politely refused. Perhaps it was my best decision in my life? Or maybe I should
have just sold it? But still who knows, I would eventually need to put the light on that if there
is a dot or not. That same dealer at the time said "haa maybe it's an error, so I can give you
25$ for it" those were his words...
Canada
1 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2010  9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sharrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck trying to get this verified.My dad gave me one years ago and it has a dot that has been measured potographed and even x rayed to verify that is an original dot and not added later.The problem being that according to the estate of the only known non circulated dimes none exist other than theirs.I would like to see a photo of your dime and I will post a picture of my set of photos later.Almost same story accept my dad was offered 100.00 just to have it as a novelty dime by the man that holds the originals.
Valued Member
Canada
200 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2010  11:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennylover1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cteve,
I'm with D on this. Welcome!
and a photo is absolutely needed.
Korea, Republic Of
3 Posts
 Posted 11/18/2010  12:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cteve to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, well it sounds like a money (in all the sens of the word) thing. Of course the owner of the "existing" ones dont want to see other "existing" copies surfacing on the market otherwise the value of theirs will dramatically drop... simple math.

Of course if your dime and mine been in circulation let's say for over 30-40 years before someone realized what they really were, then the dot might have really faded away by the time, which makes our copies very difficult to identify.

I would gladly put a picture of mine, and WILL. The only thing is that it's in my mom's house back in Canada and I do live in Korea right now. I am going back to Canada for a short holiday around February, so I will make a picture at that time. :)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05