Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Temporary filling of holes in Dansco albums

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
edgman
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2010  07:36 am Show Profile Check edgman's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add edgman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have 2 Dansco albums. A Mercury dime and the large Lincoln w/proofs. These both are about 75% filled but the empty holes that you can see through to the next page bother me. I would like to fill the holes with something that will block vision to the page below plus let me see quickly what I am missing. Need some form of a blank filler. Thought about using bingo chips but they probably would contain some form of nasty stuff. Also thought about a thin cover page between the Dansco pages but we would get into paper and chemicals again. Need thoughts on this. Know you guys love to talk.

Thanks again

edgman

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3854 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2010  09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about, some of the mint sets I cut up have a you S treasury medal, that is the size a penny.
I think it would work for the Lincoln set. On one side it has a shield with "treasury U.S. mint" around it. The other side has big "P" or "D". Most times I have 5 or 10 just siting around, not even sure what I do with them.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
1717 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2010  09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pls to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think that you could cut up a manila folder and slip segments underneath the clear plastic sliders to block the holes. I bought a Dansco Mercury dime album based on photos on eBay, which revealed coins through the holes that I thought were filling them. Although I ended up with a fairly good deal, I was disappointed not to receive all the dimes that I thought I was seeing in the photos, so I'm in favor of your effort to conceal your empty spaces.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10883 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2010  11:57 am  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have enough spares laying around, just stick in some generic Mercs and Lincolns reverse side up so you know they are placeholders.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1261 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2010  2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add afcop13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Bio's idea or use Roosevelts in the blank holes - they'll obviously be out of place.
Valued Member
United States
396 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2010  5:35 pm  Show Profile Check edgman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edgman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All your ideas are good but I wanted something that was bright and colorful like a red or green. Want it to stand out and say this spots empty, fill it.If I reversed a Lincoln or Merc I might not spot it as easily as I wanted. Putting a piece of bright manila behind the plastic sheet would be a good idea but it would have to be acid free and free of everything else that paper contains. May be hard to get. Keep the ideas coming guys and thanks to those who already have contributed to this post.

edgman
Valued Member
United States
120 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2010  5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add twinsrule to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you could always put in the reverse... or just finish your albums!
Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2010  9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AndrewC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not get a mylar balloon and cut circles out of it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2010  02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add deadmunny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some guy stuck common grade Morgans, sprayed with blue paint, in his album so he didn't have to look at the holes. Last I heard, he was trying to sell those painted fillers on another forum at melt price. I thought that guy was kind of scary, but at least he explained the paint to me.
United States
42 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2010  03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coinsucker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just leave mine blank....gives more motivation to keep interested....billy
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just leave mine blank....gives more motivation to keep interested

I don't like empty spaces, either, so I am just pushing to get them all filled
Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2012  2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinmap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I just leave mine blank....gives more motivation to keep interested

I don't like empty spaces, either, so I am just pushing to get them all filled
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1395 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bizybackson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the volara plug from the Ringed Air Tite holders line to fill holes in my Danscos, since I buy the rings in bulk, they come in stamped sheets with the plug included, and yes, they are inert, but only come in white or black. I used to just toss them, till I realized the empty album holes can be blocked with these fillers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2012  9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Penny4Me to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey edgman,
best thing is too fill those silver Mercury dime Dansco blank holes with real silver coin dates you need, before silver jumps back up too high! what kind of Mercury dimes you collecting; all AU/BU only or anything from AG-AU to fill holes?
I have an extra set of Mercury dimes just missing these top 4 key dates 16D, 21P, 21D, 31D. All others range from AG - VF depends on dates.
United States
20306 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2012  10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I use the volara plug from the Ringed Air Tite holders line to fill holes in my Danscos, since I buy the rings in bulk, they come in stamped sheets with the plug included, and yes, they are inert, but only come in white or black. I used to just toss them, till I realized the empty album holes can be blocked with these fillers.
That is a good idea.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn about my new avatar and my old one.

>>> Chicago Blackhawks - 2013 Stanley Cup Champions <<<

Did you know that our members sell on eBay and that there is a better way to search it?
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VKurtB to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure wouldn't mind a nice little obvious token cut to the right size that says "SLAB" on it for the "raries" of a set that are owned, but the hole in the album will remain empty. Some coins are getting hard to acquire out of slabs, and it seems a shame to break them out, unless they are undergraded.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love Coins$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.16 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05