Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Temporary filling of holes in Dansco albums

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
22108 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Some coins are getting hard to acquire out of slabs, and it seems a shame to break them out, unless they are undergraded.
I understand the dilemma, but in my opinion, you should have no problem with cracking it as long as you did not pay a premium for the slab.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
687 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add spaceace to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It seems like Dansco (or somebody) would market discs/inserts that could be labelled to fill those spots that you have a slabbed coin or when a coin is very rare or very pricey. I have heard people using blank planchets of a particular coin, or cardboard cutouts that they labelled, or an extra coin (sometimes with the reverse showing). I would buy a pack of hole-fillers that included various sizes and labels to put in my dansco if they were available. Probably not enough of a market for something like that, but would be kinda of nice to have.
Learn More...
United States
22108 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if they were available, I would not use them. It would bother me knowing the coin was not with her brothers and sisters. This is a personal preference and I understand why many would not want to crack the slab. For those people, I think you have a good idea.

The TPGs could include an optional token, imprinted with the coin information and/or slab number. The token goes in the hole and the slab goes wherever you feel it would be safest.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13148 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1. Go to a hobby store and purchase a sheet of colored plastic. Just make sure it is of a Mylar type. Cut to suite.
2. Go to almost any flea market or coin store. See if you can find a pile of cheap foreign coins and use them to fill the holes.
3.Go to a hardware store and purchase Copper Washers of a size that will fit. Being Copper they will stand out and not be confused with a coin. Some have Brass washers and they shine better too.
4. Not sure if they still carry those but a place called Harbor Frieght used to sell an assortment of Copper Washers. If so, order them and use for those fillers.
5. Or use Stainless Steel, Tinned or Zinc plated washers.
6. Fill the empty slots with a cotton ball
7. Pour concrete into the slots. Problem then would be how to get it out later.
8. Send incompleted Albums to me and stop worrying about those empty slots.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5106 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2012  6:45 pm  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carefully fold up a fifty dollar note and cover the hole with that
That way when you do find the coin that is missing, you will have the funds to pay for it
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2012  12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jwguts to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can use P and D mint tokens to fill holes in cents albums. Perfect fit.
Valued Member
Australia
464 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  06:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dibby33 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trout : I like this idea. I would suggest $100 though to get a better grade coin

As a serious suggestion I would get my local silversmith to make some blanks for me with my likeness on one side and a diagram of a haggis (with all three legs) on the other. Date not important. ...but if she can make it, all the better.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
5106 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2012  07:13 am  Show Profile Check trout1105's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually like the empty slots in the dansco albums.
They give you the incentive to hunt for the coin needed to fill the hole/holes
if they really annoy you just write down what is missing and only open the album when you fill a gap
Aim to Enjoy life. You only get one shot at it
Learn More...
United States
22108 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2012  1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I actually like the empty slots in the dansco albums. They give you the incentive to hunt for the coin needed to fill the hole/hole
I agree. I like the actual coin to be there, which is why I am okay with cracking slabs.

Quote:
if they really annoy you just write down what is missing and only open the album when you fill a gap
I do not think I could go that long without looking at my albums.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1219 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2012  03:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ninamason to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have any of you thought of scrapbooking sheets? These are relatively inexpensive on sale at stores like Michael's, and because scrapbooking materials come in contact with very sensitive items (namely: photographs), they are acid-free. In a scrapbooking context, this is to prevent colour transfer, fading, and blotches--you can see how this translates to coins. Also, scrapbooking sheets come in many colours and also in patterned pages--you can get whatever colour you like, cut it to size, and boom, there are your markers!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13148 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2012  09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use those stickon pieces of paper. The ones that say post-it on the cover. Just cut a piece to cover the empty slot and you don't even have to slide out the slides. And they come in a variety of colors so you could try to find a color to match the Album.
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05