Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Encapsulating your beautiful coins in an album

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
johnstac
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2010  06:26 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

My last topic did not get one reply so I am hopeful that this one may attract attention. I have had my Lincoln set in a Dansco for decade or longer. I'm not impressed. Where I have pulled the plastic sheet out to upgrade coins, is causing wear at the higher relief areas of the neighboring Lincolns. I want some feedback about encapsulating coins for an album. I don't know where to start. Who makes the capsules and who makes the albums? All responses are appreciated.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
8627 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2010  07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Almost all of my collection is stored in 2" x 2" cardboard holders that have clear Mylar plastic (not PVC) windows. You can buy non PVC clear plastic pages; they are more expensive, and they are not as clear, but this combination is far superior to my way of thinking. You put the 2x2's in such pages.

Mylar is the clear plastic material used for stamp and banknote albums.

The advantage of this combination is that you can write the details of each coin as you receive them, things like grade purchase price, and when obtained.

I have seen illustrated on this Forum plastic album pages for slabbed coins. Both types of pages could all fit into a common ring binder.

With this type of system, you can move the coins to a different area of the album, and the details relating to each coin move with the coin.

Edited by sel_69l
09/08/2010 07:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2150 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2010  11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jokingjoker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same problem with my lincoln dansco. I switched to a method badthad suggested. I bought a box of 250 airtites, put all the coins in them. Then I put the airtites in half dollar 2x2's and used one staple to close them. Then I put them in 2x2 pages that are made by Cohen. They are a tad bit more expensive but far superior in my opinion.

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...60273#472128
Edited by jokingjoker
09/08/2010 11:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2010  11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
John,

I'm also in the same boat as you. Currently I am storing my nice coins in airtites and trying to find good ways to display them.

Airtite albums. I didnt really like them much. the capsules fall out of cards to easy. Plus the pages are so small. Does get the job done though.

I've thought about buying the correct sized dansco pages to fit the whole airtite, just not sure if the thickness of the airtite will fit. Planning on buying a few pages to test this soon.

The other option im thinking off is Eagle Albums. do a search on google.com for "eagle coin albums" and you should find them. I really like how its a large size album made to hold 2x2's and/or encapsulated coins. Little pricey but might be worth it.

Let me know if you have other ideas, because I dont like dansco style albums for high quality coins.

Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2010  03:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Joker, as I read your post, I just couldn't believe how someone would cover their coins in 3 layers of plastic. I was even more surprised that it was Thad but I went to that link anyway. It's not pretty like the Dansco but I have to say, it's definitely an interesting method and hands down would have to win for the best protection award.

ianmprice, I want to look more into those eagle products. I did find them on a google search but the site was down. Maybe maintenance. Will be checking back on that.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2010  2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Admins,

if this cant be posted feel free to delete.

https://www.eaglecoinholders.com/os...rce/catalog/
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2010  4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These eagle coin holders look great. I am just trying to find two things. First, reviews from anyone who uses them. And secondly, They offer no photos on their site! Unless you count those very blurry images from a distance. I will check google images and maybe I can post a few here if I can find them. I am very interested. Their prices are not bad considering the alternatives to protecting your coins.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2010  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnstac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have to say, I was amazed at what little I found as far as close up shots of the Eagle Coin Albums. Even on google image results of 49,600 I still didn't find any quality close up shots. Nevertheless, of what I do see, I really like. I am going to go for it. Once I get them done, I will post the shots! Thanks again ianmprice for bringing it to our attention!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05