Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

German? Banknote

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2010  8:44 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wild_outside to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I recently bought a pile of german notes from the hyperinflation era. I realize that these notes aren't that valueable but they interest me. I have identified all of them except this type.
I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how. but for now here is the best description I can give.

It is a 1,000,000 mark printed 1, august, 1923. The note is about 3"x5" There is a wavyline border around the printing that is recessed from the edge of the note about 1/4". The printing is black on light blue and multicolored.

Below I will do my best to recreate the words on the bill.

1000000 mk. GUTSCHEIN No 531236
der BayeriSche Gtaatsbank uber
EINE MILLION MARK
munchen, den 1. august 1923
Bayerische Gtaatsbank
Direkiorium
Signature 1 signature 2
dieser gutschein
wird zu einem durch das bayerische Gtaatsministerium der finamzen im reichsanzeiger
und gayerischen Staatsanzeigr befannszumachenden zeitpunfte zur einlosung ausgerusen

The back is simmilar to the face, but printed in all brown.

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2010  9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wild_outside to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are the pics...I hope.

[URL="http://img844.imageshack.us/i/dsc0699y.jpg/][/URL]

[URL="http://img34.imageshack.us/i/dsc0698d.jpg/][/URL]
Pillar of the Community
Germany
754 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2010  08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
German style writing uses a S in a funny form which make it look like a G.

It translates as 1000000 mark voucher of the bavarian state bank of a million marks. munich the 1st august 1923, bavaran

Then it gets a little boring so I won't translate that bit.

But I have recently bough quite a few Notgeld, as they are called, or emergency money. Some were made so nice, in order for people not to cash them in. Others were made, like yours, because they lacked a lot of coins after WW1. They are very, very interesting, I bough each one for the eqivalent of $1!! There are estimated to be around 7,000 out there, if I remember correctly.

Some of the nicer ones I managed to get!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2010  09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wild_outside to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so there are only 7,000 of my type of note out there? I have probably 10-15.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
754 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2010  10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, oh you'd be lucky. No, there are 7,000 different types of Notgeld in general, I posted 4 types.

http://notgeld.com/grossgeld-1918-1...t-is-notgeld

this is a nice site and this page explains better than I did.

Okay, I was wrong,

"5,500 varieties of 1914, issued by 452 places.
36,000 varieties of 1915-1922, small value notes (kleingeld), issued by 3,658 places.
5,000 varieties of 1918-1919, larger denominations (grossgeld), issued by 579 places.
4,000 varieties of 1922, between 100 & 1000Mk, issued by 800 places.
70,000 varieties of 1923, inflationary notes, issued by 5,849 places.
3,660 varieties of 1923/4 notes of constant value (wertbestandiges), issued by 562 places.
3,000 varieties of P.O.W.notes, issued by 600 issuing locations. "

I was only 120,000 or so out, <cough, cough>

So you can see why they are so cheap. Some are expensive, but the vast majority are not!!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2010  10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wild_outside to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was going to say... I NEVER would be that lucky. Plus it looks like a pretty generic looking bill that I assumed was printed in LARGE amounts.
Thank you for the info!
Sweden
1 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2011  2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mrLawson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everybody.. New here, and new on the numismatics, but I have about 2000 diffrent Notgeld bills, and it would be nice to see some more posts here.. If I ever find this tread agin, I will post some myself..

But as I heard it, the ones that are numbered, are actually the ones that have been cirkulated, all others are printed as collector items. But I donĀ“t know I might bee wrong there.

/ Chris (In Sweden)
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05