Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Frankfurt-on-the-Main 1863 Project

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar of the Community
1179 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrisild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, he is there. As Bacchus2 wrote, the photo that he shows at his website has all the names as "tooltips". http://www.diadumenian.com/Congress...princes.html So move the cursor across a guy (more precisely, his head), and you will see who is who. :)

Christian
Edited by chrisild
02/02/2011 1:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2605 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add svslav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Christian, I missed that!
Valued Member
Greece
422 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2011  5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add epop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three years later Prussia and Wilhelm I defeat Austrians in Austro-Prussian War.The result was dissolution of the German Confederation and establish North German Confederation which was ruled by Prussians.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2011  01:30 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Yes, he is there. As Bacchus2 wrote, the photo that he shows at his website has all the names as "tooltips". http://www.diadumenian.com/Congress...princes.html So move the cursor across a guy (more precisely, his head), and you will see who is who. :)

Christian"

Yes - I'm afraid my html writing skills aren't up to being more percise than that - but I think it works ok.

I've managed to source better images for all the main players which are also listed further down the page so it will be interesting to see how many actually resemble their image on the coin (of course I could just insert any old image of a coin in question - there are lots available but that would be cheating and I want to have an actual goal to the project so I'm only going to add them as I get them.

thanks...

Edited by Bacchus2
02/03/2011 01:31 am
Valued Member
Australia
432 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2011  06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zaggy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While obviously I'm into Reich coins (focusing on Third Reich), this is a really cool little project - I trust you know of the Jaeger Katalog (Die deutsche Münzen seit 1871)? While it doesnt go all the way back to 1863, quite a few of those guys were still around in 1871...
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2011  03:48 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Zaggy - I did know about the Jaeger reference work, though I don't have it - so thanks for the reminder on that.

all the best

Malcolm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2011  07:32 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've just made a surprising addition to my project. It's the extremely rare Liechstein thaler of 1862 - though this one is a 1968 restrike. It's listed in Krause under the same number but apparently was authorised by Frans Joseph II in 1968 by struck by Motek Horowicz & Co in Munich.

I've probably paid over the odds for it ($90) but I think it was a chance that I couldn't afford to pass up - who knows when one of these would surface again.

Would anyone know how many coins were struck during the re-strike - or know where I could go to find out?

Thanks

Edited by Bacchus2
03/01/2011 07:44 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2011  03:24 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I've managed to add a couple more coins to my project so the grid is starting to fill up - there is still a long way to go though.

http://www.diadumenian.com/Congress...princes.html

If anyone can recommend a good book or two about the politics of the time and ideally some biography of the attendees of the meeting (in English), please let me know, as I'd really like to expand the pages to include more background. I've trawled the net and while Wikipedia and the like are helpful, I suspect there is more "out there"

thanks.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2011  5:36 pm  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've managed to acquire another coin for my project. I think things will slow down as funds are running low - it will take me a good bit longer between purchases now.

This one is Bernhard II Duke of Saxe-Meiningen, a thaler from 1857. Of all the coins I have got so far I think he is the most unlike the pictures I have been able to find - but still recognisable.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2011  4:57 pm  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another coin added

This is actually quite a nice on. A thaler from Sachsen Coburg & Gotha.

If anyone in interested I have expanded the webpage quite a bit (more to go though)

:)
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2011  02:48 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alas I haven't been able to add any more talers but I have been adding a few pages to the site. I'm trying to make it a numismatic mystry tour - just following the royalty of Europe and their decendents and relations.

I've added a few yesterday

A worn-ish one of Christian VII

http://www.diadumenian.com/Congress...Denmark.html

A nice one of Christian X

http://www.diadumenian.com/Congress...Denmark.html

A 3 mark of Baden - 1909 Frederick II

http://www.diadumenian.com/Congress...20Baden.html

And a very nice coin from the free city of Aachen - which I haven't been able to work in to the site yet.

For some reason my "home" link does not work on the pages. It does on my version on my PC - but not when I upload it - I will work on that. I think most of the "relations" links work though.

Thanks

I must work on tidying everything up
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2011  6:09 pm  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I have managed to purchase another thaler for my page - though I haven't it in hand yet - so I can't upload it.

I have, however, managed to pick up a couple more coins which will go into the site overall

A rather nice Wurttenberg 3 mark

And a large British crown from 1821 - I can't believe I've never bought one of these and while it's not a high end coin - it was only £28

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2011  2:20 pm  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another addition to my thaler - project.

This one from Mecklenberg Strelitz

The grid is starting to fill up.

I decided to use a simple 10 Centimes for the Luxemburg coin as it was probably the most appropriate - and I did have quite a nice one lying around.

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2011  2:31 pm  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've managed to add another thaler to the grid - quite a nice one of Adolph Georg from Schaumberg Lippe

The page...
http://www.diadumenian.com/Congress...princes.html

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1981 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2011  02:39 am  Show Profile Check Bacchus2's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is reading the thread or is interested in my continuing. If not I'll happily drop it :)

Any feed back apprecaited.

thanks
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.02 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05