Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

My magnifying glass I use - need something better!

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Dottir
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2011  9:35 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi. I finally scanned my magnifying glass to show you all what I'm using. I placed a penny beside it for scale size. You can barely see the small circle extra magnification part just above the handle, but thats the little circle I try viewing my coins through. I can't see tiny details like closeups of MM or doubled letters etc and unfortunately scanning can see a lot but scanning makes for a lot of blurry-ness to images and its nigh impossible to zoom in for ultra closeups of MM's and details, so you don't get a clear close views. Maybe I'm just not good at scanning and its me not knowing how to properly zoom and scan? I dunno. Whatever the problem, I need a better magnifier to look at my coins.

A better magnifying tool would save me from scanning everything to see if there's any doubling etc because I can't see if something is worth scanning or not using my little handheld

I'm thinking I need at least 15 strength glass? By the way, I have NO idea how strong this magnifying glass is. Maybe 5 or 10X? Not a clue.

Edited by Dottir
02/17/2011 9:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2011  10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add xinfantry4id to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 2 magnifying glasses one that goes 50x I think, and it has built in light But the one I use on a regular basis is a small 15x Magnifying glass and the lens is a little smaller than a silver dollar if I find anything interesting I use the 50x one.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  02:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I even called around to a jeweler to find out if they had an extra one laying around in the workshop that they'll sell me. They had one with a light and offered it for almost $40 EEK I declined

I just signed up with paypal and will look around online for one but I need nothing fancy with bells and whistles. Just basic strong magnification for my hobby purposes for now.

A local business let me look through their loupe, a jewelers loupe, which worked but they didn't have a spare. I was excited to look through it and super clearly see a MM and inside of it plus clearly see the lettering and little things. They only run about $10 I think.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
10524 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recommend a jewelers' loupe for close up work, I use a 14x doublet that cost me $5 and it works well.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Pillar Of The Community
United States
790 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  09:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jays-Dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I second the loupe. I keep mine always at hand. I misplaced mine this week and pulled out my old magnifying glass and the difference was extraordinary. The loupe is SOOOOO much better and easier to use. I think I paid about $7 for mine.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've just been googling for any jewelry suppliers in BC. Found one place in Vancouver with loupes but they have a $20 minimum order, plus there's postage which they don't tell you how much. They had a loupe for about $5 similar to the one I used and that worked for me at that store and I guess they call them watchmakers loupes. Guess I'll look up watchmakers too and find out if we have any watchmakers shops in town.

I did check out eBay and yes they have lots of different kinds in there. I've never used a loupe before except for the one at that store so I don't know what they're like to see through or to hold (twisted fingers and hands) as I can't test any out before springing for them I know I was able to "handle" that watchmakers type loupe and clearly see inside the MM though.

This is like an adventure
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9394 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had this shot on hand...from a prior discussion of magnifiers and loupes.
I find that magnifiers are great for scanning groups of coins; I use my loupes for finding small details like overdates.
My favorite is the Peak 8X (upper right). Made for viewing slides, it's easiest on my eyes.
The small 10X jeweler's loupe works far better than that big Harris 10X I bought at a coin shop; good optics make a huge difference to ease eyestrain.
You should find a quality jeweler's 10X loupe for around $20.

Edited by DVCollector
02/18/2011 12:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is that mediumsized black loupe, top right, beside the handle of the handheld?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Meanwhile, I spotted this type in eBay, a 20x strength for %5 PLUS shipping almost $6 and paypal and eBay fees? and I wonder if I can manage to hold it though. I haven't had any like this design to see if I can actually hold and manipulate one to look at coins. Kinda frustrating to not be able to test anything out before buying. You know I really don't "get" that a town this size has no products like these in town. Go figure

http://cgi.ebay.com/Folding-Jeweler...em27b8501604

Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the "Peak 2018 8X slide loupe". I got it years ago for slide photography.
It's the easiest on my eyes. It's $30 in the US.
Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  1:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PS--I've never really needed more than 8X for studying die varieties.
I've found that the greater the magnification, the harder on my eyes.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanka a lot for that. Out of my budget so will just move along to other possibilities

You know, it just occurred to me that maybe someone in CCF actually sells magnifiers and loupes! I know I'd sure like to support a CCF-er and buy from someone in this community rather than some store or online stranger. Now I have a paypal account and actually have some money in my account at the moment I can buy something if the other has paypal too.

Scooby, do you have paypal?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the loupe I tried at the store was a 10x ... but could have been stronger. I haven't tested out varying strengths. I think my magnifying glass is only a 5x and not good enough for honing in.

My current magnifying glass is good for some basic overall looks at coins but not for honing in for an ultra look at fine small stuff, so would still use my handheld. Just need ability to see the little stuff is all, hence wanting a loupe or something.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  1:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By the way, I REALLY like the wide handle of the handheld in your photo. Like ergonomic. My narrow handle is hard for me to grasp and hold onto and it always swings and flips on me A wide handle I could control more.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
864 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dottir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe THIS is what I need

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011..._306x436.jpg
Pillar Of The Community
9394 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2011  1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My magnifier is a "Ultra-Optix SV-31P". I think it's made for reading fine print.
It also has a smaller high-power lens, but it's not great on the eyes.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05