Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this a Joke?

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
451 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2011  9:46 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add brokencompass to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I mean the coin listed as a MS 61 in my opinion is not even a XF. Does NGC have such low standards or is it a fake or am I just mistaken?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ht_500wt_922

Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2323 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2011  10:04 pm  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After really looking at the coin, I didn't see any wear. I have no idea if it's authentic.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
9183 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2011  12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no reason to make fakes of this coin, because the genuine ones are common enough. Unless it is a fake of a rare variety, however I suspect that is not the case. I am not even a novice on the varieties of these coins.

It looks like a nice genuine rupee to me. The bronze coins coins of India of this period are scarcer than the silver in this condition. Silver coins tended to be hoarded by the populace.

I can't see any wear, either.
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2011  01:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brokencompass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks people! May be it is genuine, I might have mistaken a weak strike for wear on the coin. But yet I do see a lot of scratches or marks on the field of the coin, thats why I felt it was a over graded coin.
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2011  02:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add colosfj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like the real thing and even Unc. but some brainiac obviously attempted to clean it.

All those hairlines are a dead giveaway.
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2011  03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin is defiantly legit but the grade is quite high for the amount of hairline marks and another contact mark on it. Never really see the point of an American grading company bothering with foreigns
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2011  10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brokencompass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Go: There are no other TPG's in other countries either. I guess we have no other choice but to stick with American TPG's that don't bother with Foreign coins :P
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 03/23/2011  11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see where everyone saying the scratches and marks are a problem if it were graded MS-65 or higher but MS-61? Come on! The lowest a Uncirculated coin can be graded is MS-60 and that can be so scratched up its crazy, so as long as it didn't circulate, scratches can't keep a coin from grading MS-60. This coin is graded 1 point higher and has hits and scratches, so what its a MS-61, that is what you should expect from a MS-61 coin
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2011  7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add boatman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also Look the Seller has a 100 5 Score On E-Bay
That Is Something Else I Look At
Look At The Comment

Boatman
Valued Member
United States
451 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2011  10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add brokencompass to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Bryan : I understand what you are trying to say about circulation but how can one find the difference between scratches that were caused due to circuation and scratches caused otherwise?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11167 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2011  12:01 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A coin can be scuffed up but if the luster is unbroken, it is still an MS coin. If the scratches are accompanied by corresponding breaks in luster, then the coin has been circulated and can only attain a max grade of AU. This coin does appear to have rather grainy fields which can make it look circulated. However, the protected fields on the reverse have the exact same look and there is abundant luster on both sides. Absent noticeable wear, the only chance for that to happen is that the dies were left with a rough surface before use which was then transferred to all coin struck by those dies.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2011  7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought a 1929 Indian Quarter Eagle from a large coin dealer that specializes in Pre 33 gold. I bought it because it was NGC MS 61 andI was looking for a fairly beautiful coin but perfection was not my goal. When I had the coin in hand there was a slice from the edge of the obverse that cut across both sides of the Indian's chin. AppArently low grade MS coins can have some pretty large war wounds as long as the luster isn't broken. Luckily it was a very reputable dealer and they returned my money immediately upon receipt of the returned coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2011  9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
some of the scratches could be on the holder...
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2011  02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
brokencompass, as was stated above it is the luster you look at. If it is unbroken then they say it didn't circulate (at least with US coins anyway). Business strike coins were not handled very carefully and just thrown in bags that create marks on the coins not only by the other coins hitting it but also the cloth bags themselves rubbing against it. If a coin has a small break in luster in places they call the coin Almost Uncirculated but in all reality a coin could have probably circulated for a little while and still be called a Uncirculated coin if it wasn't handled very rough
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
262 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2011  9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add michaeln1306 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely looks like someone took a scrub brush to it unless its a really scratched up slab. Wonder why the seller didnt post any pics of the whole slab.......trying to get away with somethimg maybe
Pillar of the Community
United States
1265 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2011  12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Numismat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
brokencompass:
A quick way to distinguish hairlines caused by contact from those caused by rubbing is to look for a pattern. The former should be mostly random, but the later will usually have a noticeable pattern, often in a circular motion.
As for the coin in question - I think it may have been struck from a greasy or dirty die, because some of the "grainy" areas are in small spaces that would not typically be affected by contact or rubbing. This is especially evident on the reverse, towards the bottom left. It also looks like while some of the fields in these tight spaces have a grainy appearance, the features struck in relief around them do not. This leads me to believe that the actual hairlines on the coin are much fewer than some people responding may think. It's not possible to be completely sure from looking at pictures like this shot with flash though.
Personally, if I was looking at it as a raw coin I would be considering the price based on a net AU grade coin, and certainly not a "choice" example of it.
Edited by Numismat
06/07/2011 12:47 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05