Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What camera/scanner/? takes pictures like these?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2011  3:42 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cammed89lx to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am curious how these pictures are taken, they are beyond anything I have ever seen. what kind of device takes photos like these? any response is appreciated. -Thank you

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5467 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2011  3:51 pm  Show Profile Check nohope587's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nohope587 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cannon T2i or a usb microscope. the microscope is probably the cheaper option.
Richard Barnes www.mycoins.us
(www.winsociety.org) WINS#366
eBay nohope587 ANA#1200381
Coins for trade
http://www.mycoins.us/Trade/CCFtrades.htm
Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2011  4:12 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those beautiful images are well within the capability of any decent dSLR and a dedicated macro lens of 100mm or so.

1910 Lincoln, Canon 450D w/100mm Macro, full crop:

The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2011  4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cammed89lx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those pictures are amazinging. I will have to those pieces of equipment up. thank you
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2011  4:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cammed89lx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Where does one purchase a usb microscope?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10788 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2011  5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
E-Bay,Radio Shack the internet.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2011  5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
both of these pictures were taken with the same old 3.2 MP camera and the same lighting. I do have a cheap usb microscope but I usually use the camera because I can usually get a good enough close up of what I am trying to show and a picture of the whole coin which I can not do with the microscope

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2011  5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dch828 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think a DSLR is the best bet.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2011  08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree a good dSLR is definitely best. I was just illustrating you don't have to have any special camera or equipment to take adequate pictures for the web. Mine is a camera I paid 25 bucks for about 10 or 11 years ago and it 3.2 MP and both shots above were taken with no tripod or anything. I would love to upgrade to a nice dSLR camera but every time I get a few dollars saved up I see another coin I want that usually costs more than I have saved so I go backwards instead of moving ahead each time
Valued Member
United States
326 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2011  09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tamshowoff to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got my microscope for my birthday on Sunday and set it up last nite. Still no pics to post. I think my wife got it at Amazon for about $60.
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2011  01:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use an Epson Perfection 4180 PHOTO Scanner and get images like this.

Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2011  10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent image for a scanner. What's your secret?
Valued Member
United States
208 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2011  04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Danester to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no real secret. Most people don't realize how powerful their scanners are. I can't speak for all scanners but this scanner (Epson Perfection 4180 PHOTO) has three modes 1.) Full Auto Mode. 2.) Home Mode. 3.) Professional Mode. The Profession Mode is like using a 4-Speed transmission option in a car - it puts you more in control of the operation. One important option is resolution were you can go from 72 dpi to 12,800 dpi. The date on this 1882-O/S Morgan dollar VAM-5 was scanned at 3200 dpi (It's for sale on eBay now). For scanning the whole coin, 300 to 600 dpi works good. I scan a coin and then up-load the image to Adobe Photoshop for sizing, cropping and adding any arrows and descriptions etc.

One quick tip is to make sure you "select" the area to be scanned, like just out side the limits of the coin, or just the date area. Many frist timers forget to do this and end up scanning the whole scanner bed at 600 dpi, or worst yet at 3200 dpi and end-up getting a memory overflow.

Give scanning a try, and experiment with it - you will like the results. If you look at my current eBay Auction images (user ID hensteethhunter) you can get an idea of the quality of images you can obtain with this type of scanner.
Edited by Danester
04/09/2011 04:43 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05