Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Coin Photography

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Where do I start with these?

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
AlmostCollectible
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2011  05:24 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add AlmostCollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am new to photography of coins. Infact I am a beginner with photography of any kind. By that I mean every picture I have ever taken on any camera has been in Automatic Mode. That works most of the time, but I realized it doesn't work with coins.

I posted a thread few days back, and I barely got any response on it, and I feel that was because of how the pictures came out. These are the very first pictures I ever took of my coins:

http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/...PIC_ID=86417

What can I do to make them better next time? Especially the old copper ones? How do I capture the details out of those? I don't even know where to start.

One more thing, the camera I have is Canon Powershot SD1400 IS. I don't know if that camera is any good for this kind of thing. I was having trouble with the camera going out of focus if I went too close to the coins. Now why would that happen?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
9881 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2011  06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am by no means a photographer but I do recommend that you take the coins out of the holders first. Why add more glare to the coin then you need to. There are a few photogs here on CCF and they will help you out soon.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2011  09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
those pictures aren't really bad and the only thing I can really say is what was already said, if at all possible take them out of the 2x2 to take the picture but your picture taking skills are good enough to tell what the coin is and possibly even grade (I have no idea about dark side coins so don't know about that). I think the reason you didn't get many comments is because there was nothing asked, you were just making a statement and no real reason for anyone to add anything unless they disagreed with you because anything else would be just confirming what you already said
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1381 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2011  10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Darth Anarchus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
... Your pics aren't really that bad, you captured quite a bit of detail, just the holders are the problem...
Valued Member
United States
384 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2011  3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AlmostCollectible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright will take 'em out of the 2x2s next time for sure. Thanks folks.

What about the camera going out of focus when I go too close? Is there any setting that will help me with that?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05