Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Value of a 1923 Peace Silver Dollar

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
RGaston52
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2011  10:00 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add RGaston52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

First I can not post any pictures seeing my scanner is down for the count, waiting to get it fixed.

Now the crux of the question, I have seen several answers to my question, and I am not sure which is the correct one. Last night I got a 1923 Peace Silver Dollar at the store where I work at, some dummy decided it was only worth just a dollar, lol.

The condition of the coin is very good, almost fine with some wear on the lettering. The luster is very good, with very little blemish. It was minted in SF ( I found the S mark but not where everyone keeps saying where it is, which is UNDER the word One and by the Tail Feathers). I would like to know the current value of this Peace dollar as well as what the stores will pay for it. I know the incintrict value will be far less seeing that it has been circulated versus uncirculated, I have collected coins when I was younger until someone decided to steal my collection. Some items I keep though, like my One Dollar Silver Certificates (I know they are only worth a buck 10 or a bit more, still waiting on that one elusive Red Letter One Dollar Silver Certificate, lol)

I just love working in a Convience Store sometimes, lol. You won't believe how many people actually give away valuable coins not knowing what they are actually worth. Had a standing liberty silver dollar once (only got the value of the silver for it though which at the time was $11.50 for the coin) but still more than a dollar, lol. Someone actually gave us an old $2.00 bill once (forgot the date but it was an old one) thinking maybe that it was one of the new ones, lol. I also have a 1958 Ben Franklin half dollar, luster is gone but still in fair condition, lettering is worn but not to bad, still has the etchings from the press which makes it really legible, it would look better if it was a bit more clean looking. But enough of all that, would really like to know the value of Peace dollar, I have been seeing $16.00 (for the value of the silver I guess), and on eBay $42.00 and up.

***Moved by Staff to Classic US Coins Forum***

Valued Member
United States
342 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2011  10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add td5173 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The value for your in a grade of fine is $33.00. This is from the Coin Values price book may 2011.
For the silver melt just Google silver melt price.
And to CCF
Edited by td5173
05/02/2011 10:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5473 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2011  11:05 pm  Show Profile Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
RGaston52. I checked your profile because my brother has a friend on the west coast named Rob Gaston who I think was born around '52! Not you though!

Anyways, the '23 Peace sounds like a melt value coin and with about 0.77 troy ounces of pure silver in, it is worth almost $35 at today's silver spot. Keep on looking for that silver. The silver dollars should be easy to see but watch all those coins!
ANA #R3154474
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
10900 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2011  11:42 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It was minted in SF ( I found the S mark but not where everyone keeps saying where it is, which is UNDER the word One and by the Tail Feathers).

If a mintmark is not on the reverse under ONE, then it is a Philadelphia coin. Under the truncation of the neck is the designer initials, AF for Anthony di Francisci. 1923P is the second most common Peace dollar and it is currently worth its silver value.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  1:46 pm  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First and foremost

I use two different sites to check values and a host of books. A good rule of thumb site is numismedia and for bullion prices in circulated coins http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calc...culator.aspx

I hope this silver calculator is an OK site for the forum.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Edited by carmykle
05/03/2011 1:47 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05