Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

question for SuperDave

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  4:45 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I want to look into getting what it is that you use to put the image of what is on the camera's view finder on the computer to take pictures of coins. That's a tongue twister! LOL! What do you call it and where can I get it. Thank you.

Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bluntedbobylon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are you referring to something like a USB Microscope? They should be able to give you a full screen image as well as allow for pics and/or videos.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2750 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Peter THOMAS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
when I bought each of my digital cameras, they came with a few cables.
One has a USB plug, to download onto the computer, but I've never tried to see the viewfinder "live", only pics already taken.
Another cable went from the camera straight into my TV, and this was "live" - my sons thought it great to see themselves on TV. That cable had a couple of RCA plugs at the TV end, and a what looks like a small stereo jack at the camera end - not the type I would expect to see for sending pictures, but it certainly worked.

Peter in Oz
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  10:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it was a sort of remote thing that most Canon cameras are capable of. You are able to see the image on the pc before you take the picture. I believe Super Dave bought the set up and uses it himself.

Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  11:45 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The software I use comes with the Canon camera. It's part of the Canon Utilities package, called ZoomBrowser. Canon-only. Breeze Systems makes software which will do the same thing, in Canon and Nikon versions, and I'm aware of similar software which will function with Olympus dSLR's. What camera do you wish to use it with?
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2011  11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just got a Canon

I just got a Canon Power Shot SX130IS 12Opt. Zoom. You mean that it's in the software CD that came with the camera?
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  12:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
don't think it will work with a Point and shoot like a power shot but I could be wrong
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a Canon Rebel XT DSLR and am using that software you're asking about--Zoom Browser and the EOS Utility. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't allow you to view the coin on the tethered computer prior to actually taking the snap, only afterwards. Tethering is done via USB from the camera's digital out. There's also a video out jack which can be connected to a TV but again, it displays only the fotos already taken. Even so, it's great software and allows instant viewing of the foto just taken and I can make adjustments from the keyboard on my ISO, aperture, WB settings. Convenient and a great time saver.
Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  10:11 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, the SX130 doesn't support tethered shooting. It's a very nice little camera, though, and high on the list of point-and-shoots with real potential for coin shooting.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh. I explained to the salesperson at Best Buy what I wanted and told me that this camera supports what I wanted.
Super Dave is it only canon dslr cameras that has tethered support? I certainly cannot afford that. I may need to get a USB microscope.
Learn More...
United States
16689 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  1:38 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's certain that the person at Best Buy misunderstood what you were looking for. The camera likely supports being hooked to the computer, and transferring images directly rather than making you remove the card to transfer them manually. That's what he was thinking of as "tethering." The software for that should be included with the camera.

Controlling the camera directly from the computer is a very nice luxury, but the absence of it is not a dealbreaker. After the initial learning period, you're going to have a pretty good feel for what settings your camera likes and you'll be able to come very close with the first couple of shots of any given coin. And, as you say, it involves the use of a dSLR (or an older Canon point-and-shoot) and a budget beyond your desire.

Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the T1i I am supposed to go pick up this weekend doesn't have the software cd with it he said, is there a place I can download this zoombrowser?
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try this link Bryan http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppo...sAndSoftware

You'll just have to select your OS before downloading.
Valued Member
United States
420 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sidekick-CA to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to mention, you'll need to d/l the EOS Utility in addition to Zoom Browser. The EOS is what gives you the computer/camera interface/tethering. It works in concert with Zoom Browser which is basically graphics editing software.
Learn More...
United States
2553 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  3:56 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You'll also need the camera serial number - so make sure it's legible before you buy the camera - and the CameraWindow software is only available on the CD.
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
 Posted 05/04/2011  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add HeadsIWin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your help. I'll go as far as I can on my own with this new camera. If I need help I know where to come. Thanks again.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05