Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1887 5 Cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
84 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  4:40 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add marjonbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Wondering what the consensus is in the impact of the 2 small hits or pits (hard to tell from the picture) would have on the overall grade. Seller is reputable and has this listed as an AU.

Valued Member
United States
273 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  5:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add canadanz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a pretty low quality scan. I can't really make out the detail in the hair or the leaves on the reverse. The crown appears to have excellent detail -- enough to even go UNC. However, I've got no idea about the lustre on this coin so who knows.

Could be anywhere from XF - UNC, but is most likely an AU-55.
Valued Member
Canada
84 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  5:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add marjonbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks... this is the best they can do apparently for a scan... hard to make a final call but that helps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an AU to me but it is a crappy quality,

Valued Member
Canada
306 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  10:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uncle al to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing a mark above the A in Gratia, to the right side the are and I in Victoria, marks below the hair at the back of the neck, quite a few marks near the lower part of the neck, these are on the obverse. On the reverse, near the top left about 11 o'clock, on the rim, there appears to be something, the rest of the surface looks busy, that is, it has been around the block. I agree with not being able to see the lustre, as to AU, there would have to be clearer pics.
Valued Member
Canada
84 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2011  11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add marjonbc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks All... I have had no luck yet getting some high res pics or scan yet... maybe tomorrow.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05