Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Third Party Coin Grading (TPG)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

A Little Nervous About Gold in the USPS

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
junior e
Pillar Of The Community
United States
844 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2011  11:42 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just a little nervous about five Indian Half Eagles that I shipped off to NGC this morning. I put plenty of insurance on ithem and packaged them blast-proof. I know that the odds are very slim of a loss, but I have had a few packages disappear before. It usually takes about six months to get your money and it's a royal pain. Has anyone else ever lost a valuable insured package using the USPS?

Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2011  1:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Lee8775 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not mailed one and had it lost so far. But I have had 6 items that I purchased, that were mailed to me either lost or misdelivered. The latest was 4 items placed in the wrong mail box of a neighbor. Fortunately all eventually found there way to me via honest neighbors. I had a XF seated liberty silver dollar mail to me with tracking information. It was tracked as far as a post office in Woodland Ca. and then disappeared in the USPS system. That was 10 months ago. It has never been delivered to me or returned to the seller. So you are wise to insure your items.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2665 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2011  2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
no problems yet for me. I always get insurance and delivery confirmation so I can track where things are. You could always do registered mail..........very low chance of something going missing there.
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
16051 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2011  2:53 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You could always do registered mail..........very low chance of something going missing there.

I'm under the impression that they require Registered Mail for submissions. I couldn't imagine shipping coins worthy of grading by any other method.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, numismo - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3924 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2011  3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
100% with that. I have always shipped all grading submissions via registered mail ... plus you can save a bundle on the insurance as well this way.

A bit more hassle in packaging ... paper tape on all the seams, etc ... but well worth the peace of mind.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8225 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2011  02:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm under the impression that they require Registered Mail for submissions.

They tell you to send them Registered, but if you don't they won't refuse them.

It always surprises me that so many people ship their valuable packages by more expensive less secure methods and then worry themselves sick over the possibility that they might get lost. If you are worried about losing your expensive coins, why would you not ship them by the safest method possible?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2278 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2011  3:33 pm  Show Profile Check carmykle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add carmykle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I ship anything expensive, it goes registered. There is a positive and complete accounting to who has touched or took possession of the package. I would never send anything to a TPG unless Registered and Insured to the max.
Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
844 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2011  4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's registered and insured for the proper amount. I just remember that I shipped a Nolan Ryan autographed baseball one time and it disappeared in the city that I shipped it to. I had it insured well because it was a foul ball that I caught from a Nolan Ryan pitch. I made a good snag that kept an old woman from getting smacked in the face. The catcher even came over and said "good save!". Nolan autographed it at the next nights game. I shouldn't have sold that ball because whoever pinched it doesn't even know that Nolan had actually thrown that ball. I did finally get $200 for it about six months later which was about three times what non game used balls were going for. I'd rather have the ball than the money now.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
567 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2011  02:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amassey08873 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Knock on Wood, I haven't had anything go missing shipping. But have had my packages delivered to neighbors and people in my complex. We've gone on a few missions looking for our stuff. Luck would have it, No one was ever home yet. So we just took it back. I figure its a lot easier showing someone the box with our address if anyone questions what we were doing then. Trying to prove our package was at their house. This happened a few times. And how they confuse 45 with 76 or 81 I have no idea? And whats really scary is Del. Conformation says delivered to our house. That's how we knew to start hunting. Thank god I've never had to challenge that delivery conformation. I should of called each time it happened. Now that I think of it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
844 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2011  10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add junior e to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It made it to NGC just fine. I would recommend Registered Mail, Fully insured, and in a sturdy box with strong tape at all seams (dental floss tape and then paper tape the seams).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.88 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05