Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Info on taking pics of coins

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  02:05 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

When taking pics of coins for the purpose of inventorying and perhaps insurance purposes is it okay or acceptable to take pics with the coin in the flip or should I pull them out and take pics that way?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11212 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would think there would be a lot less glare if it was not in a holder,and that would show the coin much better.IMHO.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Learn More...
United States
17170 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  09:43 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, not to mention much easier on the camera.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  10:33 am  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are shooting pics with a DSLR or SLR camera you could put on a polarizing filter to get rid of most of the glare. I agree with the others that taking them out is still the best method though.
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okie dokie. I wasnt sure. I knew about the glare and thought I could take steps to control it, but I dont want to have to do this again either so I will take my time and pop them out of the holders and take the pictures. I've been going through my quarters and putting them in kointain holders inside the flips so it will be a perfect opportunity to do that with the other coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  11:19 am  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of the time the reflections off a slab or holder are at a high angle, and thus the light does not polarize off the reflecting surface. In these cases polarizing filters won't help.

My input on inventorying is just take the picture of the entire holder, making sure it has the denomination, date, mm, grade, any varieties, etc noted. If you can't see much of the coin details, it won't really matter much, as long as you can see enough to basically support what's written on the holder. An insurance adjuster is not going to look at the coin and decide what grade it is, so if you don't have that info showing in the photo you will be hosed. If you absolutely MUST have the best photo you can of each coin, then write the info on a slip of paper for each coin, set the coin on the paper, and snap the photo. Any coins of particularly high value may need more documentation, and preferably be TPG certified, in which case you need just to take an overall photo of the slab.

Ray
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, here is an attempt at taking a shot that I would use for inventory and insurance purposes. I think I need to work on the lighting a bit, but Im working under pretty crude circumstances, LOL. My Canon DSLR is just too bulky for this work and the one and only macro lens I have wont work on the DSLR. So Im using my point and shoot Canon A590 using a desk lamp and a automotive LED work light which cast more blue than I wanted but I will work on that.

At any rate, Im interested in some input.

Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, here is what I think anyway, is a much better picture. And how I was able to do it is going to probably scare a few people, but read below if you dare.

First the coin picture

Now for how I got the picture

Believe it or not, I kind of stumbled upon this by accident, LOL

What happened is I wanted to take a picture of the coin and send it to my sister for her to see. So I used my phone to take a quick shot and text it to her. Well it turned out pretty good and I thought it looked better than the shots I was taking with my point and shoot.

Well after some trial and error as holding the phone the same distance each shot so that the relative size of the coin in the frame stayed the same I got it all worked out.

What you see in the pictured is my HTC EVO Android Phone sitting on a stack of flips. Its attached to the PC via the USB cable to provide some stability to the phone so it wouldnt tilt over, and to also charge it as I was getting low on battery power.

Taped to the screen is the sticky end of a couple of post-it notes so that I could have a reference to keep the coin in the same spot on the screen when I placed it.

And for the final hick touch, I put a piece of printer paper over my desk lamp to diffuse the light.

Now, if done some back woods engineering in my day as I grew up raising cattle, growing some of our food and picking it and putting it up by hand and so on, but I left home and went straight into the realm of technology, namely computers, electronics and communications. So I do pretty good in combining the two sometimes, but this has got to take the cake.

Do I win any prizes for the most creative set up, LOL.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4771 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I for one am impressed
Now if I can just get one my grandaughters to part with her phone for a while
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2011  11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. That photo, by the way, is untouched other than a levels adjustment. And all I did in that was set the black point, which is why I used the black background, so I would have that reference. Now that I know I can do that, I may use a white background instead and save on having to print that out at least.
Learn More...
United States
17170 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2011  12:37 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For archival, forum display and insurance purposes, there is not a darn thing wrong with the quality of your imaging.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2011  12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you sir. Guess I 'stumbled' upon something that seems to work pretty good then. I guess I'll have to stick with it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1269 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2011  2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southsav to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds similar to the position I'm in shooting shots. Last photo is best. Lighting is off as it is too dark northwest and southeast. I also diffuse my light with a sheet of printer paper. Before I painted my wall (which was white) I would direct the light to the wall. Now its green so it doesn't work as well.
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2011  2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you. I printed out a copy of the image after using it in my inventory form and I could tell better then that it is a little dark. I went looking for some LED lamp stands yesterday, but they want and arm and a leg for those things. I even found a light that had a large magnifying glass surrounded by one of those circular florescent lights. Kinda like a macro lens flash. I almost got that one but wasnt sure if I could use it for taking pictures.

At any rate, thanks for your input. I will work on the lighting and see if I can get it a bit brighter.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1584 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2011  3:57 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have an IKEA near you, you can pick up their Jansjo gooseneck LED lamps for $10 on sale right now, but in-store only. Here's the link:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/p...cts/10128734
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Valued Member
United States
136 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2011  4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StormStrikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw someone else was using those and would love to get my hands on a couple of them. But unfortunately I live in podunk Oklahoma and have no Ikea. We do have a Staples and I checked there but they are pricey to say the least.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05