Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

another 5C piece...1915

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
472 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  4:54 pm Show Profile Check tfred's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add tfred to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

grades?

the toning on this one isn't so great, so my question is to dip or not to dip?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  5:42 pm  Show Profile Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU BY pic
Pillar of the Community
Canada
902 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2011  8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littlemoney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To dip or not to dip, is up to you. I would say no.
Valued Member
Canada
272 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2011  11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add neweden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldnt touch this coin with anything and I would think twice about dipping it, if anything dipping it would make those pitts in the coin stand out even more.
I wouldnt grade this coin, I would just put it away and hope a better example comes along.
That is just me tho.
Valued Member
Canada
472 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2011  1:16 pm  Show Profile Check tfred's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add tfred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting to see the comments about the toning and the condition. I guess my conclusion is that you cannot accurately grade a coin from a picture. These last three coins that I have posted are near flawless under close inspection. The nicks, pitts, and scratches are actually different colors of toning or swirls of color that are not being picked up by the camera accurately.

I'll be sending them in for grading soon and expect no less than the following for grades.
1894...AU55-58
1900...MS63
1950...MS60

By the way, how do you send coins to ICCS when they dont answer there phone or return messages. I've previously submitted coins through other dealers, but wanted to do so myself this time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
948 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2011  2:10 pm  Show Profile Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ummmmm Please let us know how you make out......
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1733 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2011  10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ugly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
High point wear shows pretty well on pictures as does even, but light rim wear. It doesn't take much to move a coin down to AU.

The pitting attributed by the earlier poster is invisible to me. Looks like standard toning. I wouldn't dip the coin though. The contrast of toning on these fishscales enhances their naturally crappy/weak strike and makes them look better than they technically are.

Having said that, there's a lot of glare on the high points in your photos, not easy to grade from them but the way the photo represents the coin it looks like it's been pushed across a couple counters to me.

AU 50 and that flatness at 3:00 on the obverse rim does it no favours at all if it looks like that in hand.

Try photos with indirect natural lighting and a motionless camera on time delay for fishscales. I post a few here and there in this forum, should give some examples.

Cheers and good luck with your grading.
Valued Member
Canada
291 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2011  12:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin! Easy AU. Love the toning! Dipping is for fools. Drink it or throw it away.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05