Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Japan 30 Yen bond?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 08/05/2011  10:14 pm Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this topic Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Not sure if anybody knows anything about this, but I thought I would give it a shot on here. This is almost the size of a sheet of paper (could barely fit on the scanner). I haven't been able to find anything on it searching online, probably because I can't read Japanese and was only searching for Japan 30 Yen. Hopefully someone on here will be able to shed some light on this .

Edited by mmorgan22
08/05/2011 10:19 pm
Valued Member
Australia
174 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2011  09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agandau to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know this large format you speak of, but it sounds like it could make a great display piece.

I did find the particular character's image on a Y20 banknote from 1930-31 so that may help you refine your search keywords.

Japan 1931 ND 20 Yen
Danzan Shrine on left and portrait of Kamatari on right

Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2011  3:55 pm  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info agandau. I actually have the 20 yen note that you posted. I figured that this might be a bond of some sort because of its size (size of a piece of paper). There is a lot of writing on this note as well. It's weird that I can't find much about it because this one has a number of 041825 on it, so there must have at least 41,824 others if they started at 000001. Plus they have the 0 in front, so it is likely that a six figure number was minted of these. Still searching though.
Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2011  12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manymore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a Japanese World War II bond issued to support Japan's invasion of China which the Japanese refer to as the "China Incident".

This 30 yen bond was issued in 1940 (Showa 15 year).

You can see specimens of the 30 yen and 80 yen versions of the bond at this Chinese website: http://www.gucn.com/Service_CurioSt...p?ID=2062721

Gary
Pillar of the Community
United States
560 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2011  1:24 pm  Show Profile Check mmorgan22's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add mmorgan22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Gary. That is very cool that it is from the WWII era. I thought it was a bond and I guess I was right. The site said they were selling both for 1800 Yuan. That's not too bad. Even though mine is missing the bottom part I think I did alright.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05