Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Zimbabwe Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2011  6:41 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ccw2805 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I have recently discovered Zimbabwe dollars on eBay. Are these bills worth collecting? If so which denomination would be most sought after? Thanks.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3355 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2011  6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would think that the 100 trillion dollar note is cool, and fun to collect, but does not have very much numismatic value, mostly interestic value. I cant speak for the other notes, though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4279 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2011  6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just for novelty value: "Hey, I'm a trillionaire...... in Zimbabwe!"
They're not worth much though.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 238, Byzantine: 34, Post-Roman Germanic: 21
Learn More...
United States
6586 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2011  7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they have been devalued. I picked up a few as novelties.

Edited by Fuzzy317
08/23/2011 7:52 pm
Israel
20 Posts
 Posted 08/26/2011  07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add barak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think that Zimbabwe dollars are worth collecting as much as any other one ,
I would offer you to look for the 1st edtion of 1980 , where the name of the capital is still Salsbuery (print on the note) later on it will be Harrre ,
also take a look on the Rhodesia pound and dollars
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3230 Posts
 Posted 08/29/2011  4:24 pm  Show Profile Check Libertad's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add Libertad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The amount printed on it will turn anybody's head. They are currently being sold as novelty items, IMO, a modern reminder of how bad an economy can get.
Selling paper money: http://gtacoins.ecrater.com
Want to Buy or Trade: Nuevos Pesos Méxicanos (UNC): P95, P96, P97, P98, P99, P105a and P105b.
Nickel, not Nickle :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
753 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2011  3:01 pm  Show Profile Check ilikeikes's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ilikeikes to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do they print paper money now?
My PCGS 5 Oz. ATB SP Registry Set:
http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistry/pub...spx?s=121760
Redwood Empire Coin Club#788
ANA#3144406

Learn More...
Australia
11235 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2011  10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, the 100 trillion note Fuzzy posted was the highest they got, before they gave up. They now officially use the US dollar, British pound, Botswanan pula and South African rand.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2011  4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamwins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could this happen to US dollars? I think inflation will be more electronic than physical paper dollars. Comments?
Learn More...
Australia
11235 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2011  9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I theory, yes it could. In practice, it wouldn't be easy. It took Mugabe several decades of planned sabotage to ruin Zimbabwe's economy to the point where hyperinflation happened. Germany, Hungary and Yugoslavia (the other three notorious hyperinflationary currencies) all lost wars.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Valued Member
Sweden
68 Posts
 Posted 10/22/2011  05:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add almingbg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Sap, but I don't think the same kind of hyperinflation can happen to US dollars. The rulers of Yugoslavia (Slobodan Milosevic) and Zimbabwe (Robert Mugabe) were the major idiots/dictators (Mugabe is still alive and still an idiot) and they ruined their countries by themselves. The US democracy has the abilty to prevent such kínd of idiots to ruin the country; at least I would like to believe in that.
Valued Member
Australia
146 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2011  01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add huckles888 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a collection of Zimbabwe notes that is mostly concentrated on the earlier years

It is a fascinating area given the explosion of issues following the onset of its hper-inflation period

Most of the later notes are as others have said "novelty" items with no real value

If you are looking for a cheap fun collecting area with a lot of variety then I would recommend Zimbabwe

If you are looking for a serious collecting area then Zimbabwe is not the go
Pillar of the Community
Germany
771 Posts
 Posted 11/16/2011  02:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add augsburger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Inflation happens of course. The UK brought in decimalised currency in 1969 and due to the increase it had coins from 1/2p to 50p, now it has coins from 1p to £2. I think I read it has increased fives times in that time, or at least since the early 1980s when they got rid of the 1/2p.

I'm sure you'd see that in the US if they allowed $1 bills to go out of circulation, but they don't, so everything looks kinda the same, but things just cost "more"!

However getting up to Zimbabwe's level, not going to happen unless someone does something really stupid like McCain wanted to do!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05