Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

digital zoom

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
891 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2011  12:56 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

While taking pics of a RPM remotely from my computer I noticed that when using digital zoom the pic is not as focused. Although I have digital zoom turned off on the camera the program overrides it and uses digital zoom. Never really thought any thing about it. After all this time I just now noticed it. Always wondered why they looked a little out of focus. When I back it down out of digital zoom I can get crisper pictures.

Is this the nature of digital zoom or is my camera not to good at it?
The first pic is without and the second pic is with digital zoom.

Learn More...
United States
17179 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2011  1:29 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Digital" zoom in not zoom at all. It's just the camera cropping the existing image and expanding it to fill the space. It's optically worse than useless, and shouldn't be used. You're getting fantastic detail without it, anyways.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1589 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2011  1:35 pm  Show Profile Check rmpsrpms's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rmpsrpms to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mike...that first pic is really nice! What equipment are you using?

Digital zoom is cropping followed by re-sampling. Let's say you have an image that's 3200x2400 pixels, and the coin (or part of the coin you want to zoom) takes up the center 800x600 pixels. When you do a 4x digital zoom-in on those 800x600 pixels, the camera crops the image at 800x600, then up-samples the image to 3200x2400. All the potential image problems (due to noise, shake, lens aberrations, etc) are magnified 4x and the image quality suffers. The zoom algorithm has to interpolate between the actual pixels and the fictitious ones it must create to fill in the image to full size. The end result is that if you do a 4x zoom, only 6.7% (1/16, since both X and Y are zoomed by 4) of the image is "real", and the rest is a figment of the imagination of the zoom algorithm.
Builder of Custom Coin Photography Setups. Email me with your needs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2011  6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys for the explanations. So basically digital zoom is junk. What a scam. Can't believe it took me this long to notice the difference.

The camera is a canon S2IS with a Raynox DCR-250 super macro lens.
Learn More...
United States
17179 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2011  7:27 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The camera is a canon S2IS with a Raynox DCR-250 super macro lens.

Oh, I remember you now. The guy who can do things with an S2 IS that I couldn't dream of on my best day with the same camera.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
891 Posts
 Posted 09/24/2011  8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Southern Yankee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep that's me. But only after reading hours and hours of your posts and thousands and thousands of pics. I don't post alot but I do read all your posts and everyone-else. I still go back and read alot of the older ones. It's actually starting to make some sense. Still have a lot of things to get figured out or at least understand. Getting there though. Thanks for the compliment. Means alot coming from you.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!SWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05