Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1851 Indian head silver us dollar with pics

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Egypt
11 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  06:56 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add miza0016 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

i have an 1851 indian head silver dollar ,i didnt see it anywhere before and I dont think it s fake the pics are in the attachments.

Image: coin.JPG
36.33 KB

Edited by miza0016
01/12/2007 08:45 am
Egypt
11 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miza0016 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
waiting for replies
Learn More...
United States
2236 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tights24 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Miza, I'm sure someone will be along to help you with this soon.

As a side note, you can "edit" your first listing and attach the picture to your original topic instead of starting another thread. I'm sure the moderators on here can do this for you when one of them comes along and reads this post. They may also be able to help you with authenticity since they are all very knowledgable on just about all coins in general.

Welcome to the forum!
Confucius say "The man who asks a question is a fool for a minute, the man who does not ask is a fool for life."

Our members sell on eBay too!!
Egypt
11 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miza0016 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thanks tights
Egypt
11 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miza0016 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the one who reads the topic please reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
2358 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  08:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
definitely bogus, not legit, fake, fantasy coin, what else can I say?
TreasHunt
Egypt
11 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miza0016 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
can I know how you knew it is fake ,please ? to treashunt
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These fakes are sold as gold pieces to gullible people.
Egypt
11 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add miza0016 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
please tell me how you knew it is fake and why you rpretty sure that it s fake?
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is fake since it is not an official United states coin design.
It's got the obverse similar (but not the same) to an Indian Head cent (penny) and reverse text similar (but not the same) to a gold dollar.
Feel free to consult any book on US coins, like the RedBook, to view actual US coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Becky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum!!

In 1851 the US government did not mint $1 Indian Head coins. In fact the Indian Head cent had not been designed yet, even though that is what that"coin" is trying to copy.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2358 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Start your collection by purchasing a copy of the Guide Book to US Coins, by R.S. Yeoman (edited by Ken Bressett).
Lots of info and great source for just plain fun reading.
TreasHunt
Forum Mom
Learn More...
United States
5795 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Susanlynn9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may not actually be a "fake", but it is a fantasy coin. There were many bullion rounds made with the designs from US coinage. Does it say 1 Troy Oz .999 Silver on the reverse? If it does, this is considered to be a bullion art round.
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the reason everyone is saying it is a fake is because the US Mint didn't make this coin, they never even made a coin of this style in a one dollar coin. it looks like some other private mint has made this coin and they used a Indian Head cent obverse and a gold dollar reverse. The Mint never paired tis obverse with this reverse and thats why fake/fantasy coin has been thrown out there about this particular coin
Valued Member
United States
270 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2007  3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add edix to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems to me that the piece was made with the specific intention to deceive rather to entertain in any fashion.
The design bespeaks an attempt to get around being required to carry a mandatory Hobby Protection Act "COPY" stamp, which points to subterfuge, IMO.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.47 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05