Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 General Numismatic Discussion Forums (Non Country Specific)
 Supplies, Books, Reference, Software, etc

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Dansco Album: Wheatback Dilemma

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
USArmyParatrooper
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  1:29 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add USArmyParatrooper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This sounds like a silly issue, but it's really a thorn for me. A while back I decided to start a series collection, and I chose Wheatbacks. So I picked up a Dansco album (1909-1958) plus several coins and started filling holes.

All I've been collecting is Unc Reds and Red/Browns. I've made a small dent in the series, but I still have a loooong way to go before it's complete. Everything I have thus far is common and somewhat common dates, both older and newer. The one exception is a major key I bought and I'm currently waiting on.

Ok, now the dilemma. Since I purchased the key I've started taking the completion of my series seriously. But now I'm finding that filling every hole with UNC Red and RBs is extremely difficult and way too expensive.

I really don't mind filling holes with brown circulated coins, but the contrast of having them next to brilliant red coins really bugs me. I don't know why, it just does. It's like an Adrian Monk thing.

So now I wish I went with all brown coins since a brown Unc next to a brown VF doesn't look so bad. But I already have a good hunk of my collection started. So now I'm not sure what to do

I can either sell off the ones I have (minus the key) and start over, just accept mixing them, or make it a 10+ year project.

Any of you ever run into a similar situation?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
943 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nelrak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I may have a source to help you acquire more Unc cents. Let me know if you want me to give you some assistance in this endeavor.

Thanks,
Ken
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1020 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My suggestion is to complete the collection any way you can. Then it's a treat when you can replace a coin with 1 that is much better. Or, you can start 2 sets, 1 red and 1 brown. I think starting 2 sets would solve the problem, because you could complete the wheatback set even if they aren't all in the same album. You can have the reds all in 1 Dansco album and the brown's in another so the browns don't ruin the reds eye appeal.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add USArmyParatrooper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I think starting 2 sets would solve the problem

Actually, I think that's a great idea!
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
UAP

I have three sets in progress all the time ,, its the only way to collect Lincolns !

I really like the Red coins ,,but I love the nice choclate brown ones,, but I also end up with a lot of circulated cents from VF to EF .

the total solution 3 sets .

Metalman
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ya those 1935 and down are a real pain to get BU red. If you thought the 1909-S VDB was expensive,the 14-D has been going up lately. Then when you are done with the book you realize that it is missing some holes, mainly the early proofs. So you have to get blank pages so you can have a place to put them. What I am doing is upgrading one line at a time, like when I got a 31-S in BU I got the 31 and 31-D right after that. I can not remember what was next to the 31's, but I later upgraded those. That way there was not any browns next to a red. I recently got a 26-S in a red MS-63+, next weekend I will be going out to find the 26 and 26-D so they all match. I understand your dilemma, it does look funny to have an brown next to an red, even though my 22-D is going to have to live with his brown 22 no D brother for awhile.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1148 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collect4fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a couple Dansco's that I am trying to fill and what I am doing is filling holes with what I can for now, F - Pf and then upgrading when selection and finances deems it. This way I am able to complete a set and then move on to my next series.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add USArmyParatrooper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys! That's a great, simple solution. Not sure why I didn't think of that :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1283 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add USArmyParatrooper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, one last question. Are the blue, cardboard Whitman albums OK for brown pennies, even if they're Unc?
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It really depends on the conditions they are stored in ,,If you live in a humid climate where the card board can collect moisture,,I would avoid the whitman folders .

I have seen some where the coins were perfect and some where the coins were ruined ,, moisture appeared to be the main problem on the ones which were ruined .the card board had a musty,mildewy smell to it kinda like an old basement if you can associate that smell with some experiance .

Metalman

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1327 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djluster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Dansco Folder, I sent you a Email about them. I really like them. I ussaly use them untill I get close to finishing the set then I buy the Supreme Album. The cover look the same and are heavy duty.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2007  11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrsb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorta off topic, but it looks like now you have to watch out for Chinese fakes, see item # 130136043550 on eBay, I would never have thought they would make it to the 14-D's, the S VDB's were bad enough.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2007  10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STONE to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Go for the keys right now, the common dates will always be around.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
12533 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2007  1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to the Whitman Albums. That is all I use. Of course when I first started collecting, that's all there was. I like the contrast of the dark blue with a Copper coin. A brown album and brownish coins looks horrible from my standpoint. As already noted just start addtional sets. I use the Whitman Classic Albums all the time. I've added pages that you can pruchase at Whitman or most dealers. I now have 10 sets of Lincoln Cents from 09 to present including all the keys and proofs. With Whitman you can also buy blank pages of all denimations and add dates and information. Whitman sells sheets of transferrable gold looking letters and numbers than can be pressed on to pages to say what you want. Whitman Albums are just as safe as Dansco and much better than Littleton and a few others.
Every time I acquire a new and better grade coin I put it into the sent that has one a little less. Eventually you'll end up with a fantastic #1 set at that rate. Eventually you'll have to put the extras in 2x2's. Then when you have to many of those, buy another album. I do the same with many other sets. Now just started my 97th Album. At a coin show a dealer gave me a Mercury dime Album, empty of course. I filled it with my duplicates in 2x2's almost complete.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.34 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05