Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Largest Denomination Bill Ever Printed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 02/11/2005  7:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add catman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Hi Folks,

Just thought I would show this note for fun. This was the largest denomination U.S. note ever printed. There were only six of them and all six now reside in the vaults of the Simithsonian.

catman

Edited by catman
02/11/2005 7:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2724 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2005  06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add national dealer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The BEP also has two uncut sheets. 12 notes per sheet with each Fed Bank. Serial numbers 1 and 2. They display these sheets at all the ANA shows. Very cool to see 1.2 million dollars on a single sheet.
Rest in Peace
United States
954 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2005  3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add catman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did anyone one notice..? This 100,000.00 note is a Gold Certificate and the date on it is 1934..! Did we go off the Gold standard standard in 1933..?
I'm not much up on my currency but this seems a little strange after the government going through the hassel over the 1933 double eagle..? Anyone got any answers..? I'm fresh out.

catman
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3147 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2005  5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add crystalk64 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well Catman if the truth was known this was probably a real embarassment to someone and that is WHY they didn't get any farther than a muesum? Wouldn't mind having a couple just the same!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1150 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2005  6:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add collect4fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do they still print $1,000 bills or is a $100 the largest bill in circulation?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2724 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2005  06:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add national dealer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The $100 bill is the largest printed these days. The large denominational notes of $500, $1000, $5000, $10,000, and $100,000 were printed for banking transactions. They weren't for the general public to use. Today, banks buy their money electronically and therefor has no need of the large notes. The large notes were demonatized in 1969. Other than the $100,000 bill, all are still legal to own by private collectors.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2005  6:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nos to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not too familiar with currency but if there were only those 2 sheets printed and the museum has the 6 total how come the serial number goes over 20,000? Are the ones that are around today just the surviving ones and the rest were destroyed in the 1930's?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2724 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2005  10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add national dealer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the BEP all Large Denomination notes are destroyed when returned to the Fed Reserve system. Why the serial numbers are so different is up to debate. Many believe that the BEP kept the best notes along with some museums. All the others were destroyed.
Now could there be a $100,000 note in private hands? Absolutely.....
Valued Member
United States
138 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2005  11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tradernick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm coming to this thread a bit late and the photo is down but these notes are not super rare. I've owned a few of them over the years, all punch canceled. This is the only USA note ever to be demonitized. It was never really intended for circulation...I believe it was made just for banks to move around large sums of money. I seem to recall something about a fire that destroyed most of them. I owned one about 10 years ago that had been partially burned along one edge. I don't know the current value but I've never sold one for more than $1000. Granted I haven't owned one in a few years now so I couldn't say what todays value is.
Nick
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05