Coin Community Forum Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

DIY Copy Stand  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  02:14 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How to build a (Cheap) copy stand.

There are many ways to Build a support to hold a camera.
Hopefully this will be a start and get the ideas flowing.

I started with two pieces of wood
A 2x3 about 36 inches and a 1x3 about 12 inches (both scrap that I found in my garage
last night).
2 - 4 inch C Clamps
1- 1 inch long 1/4 inch threaded wing bolt (should fit in your tripod socket)
I cut about 10 inches from the 2x3 and about a 5 inch piece from the 1x3

I attached the short piece of 2x3 to the longer piece in a T shape using 2 (3 inch) Screws.
I Then attached the short piece of 1x3 to the longer piece in a L shape. You can use
3 - 4 1.5 inch finish nails and a dab of glue wouldn't hurt.

Drill a hole for the 1/4 inch wing-nut in the center of the L shaped piece (see Picture)

Attach the T shaped piece to a table using 1 of the C Clamps.
Attach the L shaped to the long part of the T with the other C Clamp (See Picture)

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

Wing Bolt hole location and a picture of said bolt (in case it is not a wing bolt)

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

I use this to make sure the camera is level. front to back and side to side.
the C Clamp allows (even when it's tight) a little Up and Down adjustment (north and South)
While the Wing Bolt allows Left and Right (East and West) adjustment.

Just remember, you are not minting coins on a screw press, so Firm but not squeaky tight when you tighten up your camera with
the wing bolt.

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

Image Insert:

This is the Jefferson nickle in a PCGS Holder that I used for the photo subject.
This picture was taken with the Nikon in the photo's

[Image Insert:

Nothing Fancy but it gets the job done, and when done, it comes apart easly and stores under the bed.

I hope this helps
Edited by 7070
09/29/2007 02:16 am
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  06:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I made one out of plexiglass, just heated it up with the oven top and bent the plexiglass to the shape I wanted but I have to say it takes longer to set the camera up and I would just rather hold the camera in my hands and take a quick snap of a coin, it always seems to be sufficient for what I am trying to show at the particular time
Pillar of the Community
United States
827 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sleaklight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice! I finally understand what you were talking about
Pillar of the Community
United States
7123 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Metalman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the "how to build it " 7070 ,,making sure the camera is steady is the only way to get consistently good pictures ,,especially in macro or super macro .

Metalman
Pillar of the Community
United States
1173 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hunter20ga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't be any good...didn't cost a lot of money.

Thanks, 7070....what a great, inexpensive way to get us all started! You're a gentleman to share!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collect4fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice set up. What type and watt bulb do you use in the lamps?
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2007  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
What type and watt bulb do you use in the lamps?

Well I HAD 100 watt daylight fluorescent bulbs, but I broke one during the photo setup. I replaced them with 45 watt halogen flood lamps. (I was going to try them anyway). they seem to work OK

Lighting is Key to coin photography, Take good notes on what works for you and your setup.

And do not forget the self timer.
Edited by 7070
09/30/2007 2:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add adobero1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, thank you for the plans. I think I'm going to try that.

I have a simple Olympus Stylus 500, I think it's similar to your Nikon. I was going to ask how you released the shutter, I totally forgot about the timer, something I've never used yet!

I can't manually focus with my camera, (at least I dont' think I can). So, when I depress the shutter it automatically focuses just before the shot, so when using the timer, I wonder if it automatically does that for me, or if I need to do that myself before setting the timer...?
Valued Member
United States
107 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  01:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FroDaddy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perfect! Time to get to work
Edited by FroDaddy
09/30/2007 01:06 am
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I can't manually focus with my camera, (at least I dont' think I can). So, when I depress the shutter it automatically focuses just before the shot, so when using the timer, I wonder if it automatically does that for me, or if I need to do that myself before setting the timer...?

Adjust the camera arm (up or down) to the focusing distance before final tighting the C-Clamp. you can place a mark on the upright so you know where to place the arm next time. Then when placing a new subject (coin) press the shutter 1/2 way to focus the coin and make sure the composition is what you want. Then adjust lighting, taking test shots (remember to take notes).

I do not use the self timer for the test shots. Once you have determined the best lighting for the coin at hand, then set the self timer and take your best shot.

Edited by 7070
10/01/2007 12:40 am
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add adobero1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the tutorial 7070. That all makes good sense.

This will beat by a long shot my current method of placing my subject coin in the bottom of a 6 inch tall narrow jar, moving the jar about under a bedlamp, then positioning the camera on the rim of the jar and manually releasing the shutter!

I have gotten some halfway decent shots that way, but oh, so much trouble, so many failed attempts!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2269 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spider5689 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, you made it sound so easy. Now I know what my next project is going to be. Thanks for the tutorial.
Valued Member
United States
173 Posts
 Posted 09/30/2007  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ducky1100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
adobero1,

I have and use an Olympus Stylus 800, I think it's pretty much the same camera only a difference in Megapixels. Do exactlly what 7070 suggested, he's RIGHT ON!
Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2007  4:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RenaL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Today I assembled a copystand too, I was inspired by 7070 but I guess I was a bit lucky since I had suitable material for that.

I used a 30 x 40 cm aluminum coating board and a 50 cm piece of aluminum rail with a sliding piece.

I took off the head of my tripod and connected to the slider.

Now since I have a nice rigid stand, I should start working on the lighting.

Here's what I could get with a regular circulating coin:

Is there any chance that the good recommendations about close-up coin photography could be gathered in a sticky thread here?

You guys SuperDave, 7070, zacharycash really mastered this, and share your experience, but I think in time the good stuff gets lost within the pages here.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 10/02/2007  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 7070 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Setup, Lets keep the ideas flowing.

Everyone wins.

And......

Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
1205 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2007  03:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RenaL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05