Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1889-P Morgan (unlisted VAM?)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  08:31 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This anomaly appears on the east side of the eagle and the west side of the flower. Any idea if a VAM has been assigned to it? Does it merit VAM? Is it a known variety?

Thanks,
Jim

Image: 1889pmorganmacrorev2.JPG
63.49 KB

Image: 1889pmorganrev.JPG
66.24 KB

Image: 1889pmorganrev2.JPG
67.76 KB

Image: 1889pmorgmacrorev1.JPG
66.81 KB

United States
3242 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add amac44 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
check out http://www.ashmore.com they have 90% of known Vams there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
673 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add InfiniteInterest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a die clash, before this con got minted the dies came together (more than once by the looks of that clash)without a coin between them and part of the obverse design was transferred to the reverse. Clashes can be markers for various VAM numbers, but not usually the determining factor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1934 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j_h_s to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, amac and infinite...I've looked at the website and my resource list of 100 VAMs and dont see anything like it. Is it worth submitting to whom?

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  10:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NGiles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
j_h_s,

Die clashes are common. They are interesting, but as far as I have seen do not increase the value of the coin by much. The exception to that is if any lettering has been imparted on the other die. Clashed n's or st's in front of the neck on the obverse of the coin are highly sought after. Your coin has tripled clashes. Nice coin.

1889 P VAM 23A has the strongest example.

http://www.vamworld.com/1889-P+VAM-23A
Learn More...
United States
17172 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  6:30 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To expand on NGiles' previous comments about transferred letters, please check the following pic. I must apologize for Liberty's appearance - she had a terrible motorcycle crash and there's considerable road rash. It's the best pic I currently have of a letter transfer, though.

In the left red circle, first note the line slanting down towards the star, from her neck. This is a clash transfer of the edge of the eagle's wing, and is the best immediate sign that you're looking at a clashed coin. Second, right below that diagonal, note the two v-shaped lines. They're the bottom of the "n" in "In God we trust," transferred by the clash. The "st" from "trust" will, if transferred, show up in the right red circle.

These locations, varying just a little because of die rotation, are the same on all Morgans. The first line I spoke of could be as far up as the jaw-neck junction, and the example shown is about as low as it gets. The location of the transferred letters will vary proportionally to that line.

I urge you to check the obverse of this coin. Those multiple clashes (sometimes the dies came together a few times before they realized there was no planchet in there) indicate that the obverse could be heavily clashed as well.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NGiles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SuperDave,

Road rash or not, I wish I had found that coin. If I am not mistaken it looks as if she is the bearded lady as well. Is that a 1878 P 22A? The location of the clash looks right.
Learn More...
United States
17172 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  8:10 pm  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If I am not mistaken it looks as if she is the bearded lady as well.

The Bearded Lady she is.

1878 7/8TF VAM-41C:

http://www.vamworld.com/1878-P+VAM-41C
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NGiles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have looked a little harder before I guessed on the VAM. Nice coin!! Thanks for the pics.
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add teryble to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you get some many responses? My name is Tery...Hi
I have an 1886 Morgan posted yesterday (teryble, how many can you find)
The striking seems so revelant and it also has a closed 6. I am very new to this, but there seems to be so many anomalies...Am I the only one whom sees these, or am I just not educated?
Any input appreciated
Thanks,
Tery
Pillar of the Community
United States
527 Posts
 Posted 02/29/2008  11:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NGiles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tery,

I responded to your 1886 topic, check it out. We are all uneducated, don't take it personal.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsAmerican Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05