Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1840 1000 Dollar U.S. Bank Note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3576 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  12:42 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I found this note today between some old newspapers in the bottom
of a travel case that held an estate lot of coins I bought. I searched around and found some copies / replicas of this note on eBay.
However this note is real not a copy. It is 7 1/4" by 3 1/4" and only printed on one side. It is in real nice condition. Any value to this old note ?
Thank's

Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
printed on one side?

We'd have to see pictures of it. How old was the newspaper?
Learn More...
United States
14452 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  01:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any 1840 $1,000 Bank of the United States note with the serial number 8894 is a replica that was made in the 1960's for a promotional giveaway in cereal boxes. These replicas are essentially worthless. These replicas are made from yellowish-brown "antiqued" paper that is crisp and brittle to the touch. The genuine $1,000 Bank of the United States notes are printed on thin banknote paper that was originally white or cream colored. One supposes that if a genuine note with the serial number 8894 ever were to show up that it is likely to cause quite a stir among dealers and collectors who have grown weary of answering questions regarding this particular replica.
Learn More...
United States
6561 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  01:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GO to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does it look like this one

Pillar of the Community
United States
1709 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  06:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add arthrene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3576 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  09:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Yes, exactly. Matter of fact the newspaper clippings etc.
that were with it are dated in the 60's. Very thick stiff parchment.
With all the toning and sitting around for a few years etc. makes it look authentic. It was interesting though seeing the same note on eBay
but it had a Copy stamp on it (lower left side)Then searching a little more I found one like mine that did sell for a total of $32.00
shipped on eBay. Interesting find anyway. The newspaper clippings all
pertained to coins and silver and gold prices etc. 1961 was when the feds said, no more silver for you citizens. Silver hit $2.10 an ounce
just shortly before that and people where making a mad dash to turn in all their silver certs. At an 80% profit who would blame them. The banks had to honor the certs. and fork over silver in return for the value when the certs. were first issued. At the time of the note issuing silver was $1.29 an oz. Man, wish they would put that back into effect today. Imagine being able to turn in silver certs. today
and get silver at $ 1.29 an ounce or even less, depending on the year
the certs. were issued etc. I was only five years old in 1960 but remember going to the bank with my grandmother and turning in
silver certs. in exchange for a few Peace dollars and change.

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add iamtcklmeelmo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have two of those 1000 dollar things but 1 says copy and the other doesnt I also have 1000000 dollar one and it doesnt say copy either
Pillar of the Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  3:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratio411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way back when, they weren't required to mark copies.
The newer ones will be marked.

I had some neat looking Confederate currency in the
late 70s when I was a kid. I thought it was real.
In VERY small print, on a rear corner, it was marked
"facsimile". I had no idea what that meant until I
took a note to my local coin shop.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3576 Posts
 Posted 07/17/2008  4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Indian1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well thanks all for the info. Interesting looking note none the less.
At least yrs. ago they did a decent job even on manufacture of marketing items. It's always fun and exciting when you find something like this especially if you know nothing about it.
I am going to post some of the newspaper ads / clppings I found in the
old amway tote that all the coins and the note came in. Will find the proper forum for those. To me, the early to mid 60's does not seem that long ago but times sure have changed in the coin and note world
since then.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.American Silver Eagles only $2.49 over Spot!Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05