Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Sleeper Coins~

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
clembo
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  12:04 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add clembo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

This topic may or may not have been covered here before so bear with me as I'm still fairly new to the forum.

Sleeper Coins. What do you feel is under rated, what have you done well with? Opinions? Comments?

Here are some of mine.

Under Rated:

1914-S Barber quarter. Same mintage as 16-D Mercury dime at a SMALL fraction of the cost.
Actually I feel that there are several post 1900 sleepers in this series including:
1911 D and S
1912S
1915-S.

1912-S Liberty nickel. It has shown some substantial movement but I think there's room for more.
The 1912-D has shown a bit of movement as well.

Three Cent Nickels: Not horribly popular but lots of low mintages. If the series heats up watch prices skyrocket.

I could go on but would like some input from others.

As for coins I've done well with. First would be the 1927-S Standing Liberty quarter. I used to pick these up at $6-8 in G-VG. Bid on G4 is now $30.
1872 Two Cent Piece. I may never buy another one. Picked up an XF for $400 and a nice AU at $500. Now I see dealers list them at over retail frequently $850 and $960 respectively.

Semi key Lincolns: Not even a Lincoln collector per se but always jumped on 10S, 11S, 12S, 13S, 14S, 22D and 24D when I saw them cheap. Seems to have been a good move.
Also stockpiled VDB and 31D.

As I stated looking for your opinions.

clembo

Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  12:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JohnnyDJersey to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up a 1909 vdb in xf today for 6 dollars at a flea market. What a steal. As for the others, I think eventually the price of silver will steadly climb a bit so the semi key silver coins may climb a bit.
Rest in Peace
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  01:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, you got those 2 cent pieces real cheap! When was this?

I actually agree on the 1914-S Barber quarter. Need to pick one up myself. Too tired to contribute tonight, but I will tomorrow.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
5318 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  01:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KurtS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I picked up a 1909 vdb in xf today for 6 dollars at a flea market.
Nice!
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add clembo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ShadowCreator,

Been about 5 years since I bought those 1872 Two Cent Pieces. I have 5 now. Actually bought a G4 example about 8 years ago for $72.

I say get a 14-S Barber as well. I used to find them locally fairly often. The guy I work for now would email if he got any. Bought darn near every one.
They've shown very slight movement in the past few years but I really do expect a lot more.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They've shown very slight movement in the past few years but I really do expect a lot more

Ahhhhhh.......if we could only predict for sure !.....
Good topic though......and it'll be interesting to watch for the rise of certain sleeper coins....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1267 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bonedigger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1927-P Peace dollar
1931-D Mercury (Liberty Head) Dime

Now, those are two sleepers. Check the mintage's on each when compared to the 'Key Dates' of the series'.

Also most Most Bust Half Dollars.

Ben

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2805 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  09:18 am  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been looking for a problem-free VF+ 1872 2 (with WE) for a long time now. No luck...no matter the price.

3CN....you've got that right.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
3CN....you've got that right.

Knew that was coming !.....

Prethen has been mentioning this "potential" about 3CN's for a long long time !....
Edited by eaglefoot
08/20/2008 09:54 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2381 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
26S and 31S Buffalo nickels. Very low mintage and very reasonably priced still.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1111 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scott3270 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think the 1932-d and 1932-s washington quarters are underrated and undervalued.the 1913 1914 and 1915 Barber halves but I might be biased because I love these coins.1899 Morgan dollar and the 1927 Peace dollar. and I think the 70d kennedy half could be a sleeper if the kennedy series is popular I am not sure if it is but being only found in mint sets it could be a sleeper
Valued Member
United States
167 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bqcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on the 14-s and 13 Barber quarters. I haqve been stocking up and they are getting harder and harder to get in good condition. I would also say the 1915-s Buffalo nickel would be a good buy. Other than that the 1909 VDB in any grade Vf and above will be a great buy starting jan of 09
Pillar Of The Community
United States
651 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ken_3567 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sleepers:
1860 3 Cent piece
1871-S Half Dime
1958 Wash Quarter

Done well with:
10 W.L. 1916-D obv mintmark coins grading from f12 to f15. Picked these up whenever I had spare cash. Paid on average $32. Traded two of them six months ago for a 1921 XF+ Peace dollar.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2805 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  8:03 pm  Show Profile Check Prethen's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Did someone say an 1860 3CS?

Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Valued Member
United States
442 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add clembo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Purty coin Prethen!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2008  9:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add springcypress to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking that early date MS examples of the Jeffersons and Roosevelts are good pickups.

I know that MS 82PD and 83PD dimes are a bear to find even though book on them isn't that outrageous. I' e been hunting those 4 for over 6 months and can't find any that I like.

I also think all the Barbers are pretty good deals at current prices.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano GlassSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Coins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSWCoins - We Love Coins
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05