Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Civil War Token 1863

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2008  4:49 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pighair47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

on the on side it has the us flag surounded by 13 stars, with the date below and the words "the flag of our union". on the back it says it says in concentric circles it says "if anybody attempts to tear it down" next circle says " shoot him on the spot" then in the middle circle it says "dix" that is all the markings on the coin any info would be helpful

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11167 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2008  5:56 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

You have one of the more historic and easily recognizable Civil War tokens. Dix would be John Adams Dix, the namesake of the army base Fort Dix in New Jersey. In January of 1861, Dix was appointed as Secretary of the Treasury by President James Buchanan(Lincoln was not inaugurated until March unlike today when it occurs in January). When Louisiana seceded, he sent a message to Treasury agents in New Orleans stating "If any one attempts to haul down the American flag, shoot him on the spot." At the time, New Orleans was the home of a branch mint. The message was intercepted by Confederates but it still had the desired effect- that phrase became one of the first Union rallying cries of the Civil War and when Lincoln assumed the Presidency, he appointed Dix to the position of Major General in the Union Army.

I own this token as well and it is the sole representative example of a Civil War token that I have in my collection. It is not terribly rare or expensive(I paid about $20 for mine) but it is certainly an interesting bit of history.

BTW, Civil War tokens were created due to a shortage of small change for commerce. They were the same size and composition as the contemporary Indian Head cents. They were not US Mint products but they were used freely in the Union. For the most part they either had a patriotic slogan or advertised a business and the predominant date on them is 1863.
ANA R-3151318
Edited by biokemist6
12/10/2008 5:57 pm
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2008  6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pighair47 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for the reply it clears up all my questions your help is greatly apreciated.
Valued Member
United States
405 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2009  12:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mr Finger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also a an error/variety of that token that says "shoot him on the spoot"....
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1106 Posts
 Posted 01/18/2009  10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chrycopaul to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a photo for those who haven't seen one.

United States
1 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2009  9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add workkat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering Mr.finger Do you know the value of the coin tha has the error? "Shoot him on the spoot"
Pillar of the Community
United States
2537 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2009  4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add morgans dad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the same Token, or the same Obverse and a totally different Reverse, the one I have says "Army and Navy" with a set of swords and an anchor, any clues?Also 1863
Learn More...
United States
2599 Posts
 Posted 05/03/2009  5:48 pm  Show Profile Check xshift's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add xshift to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good info site on these: http://cwt.michigano.org/
Our members sell on eBay! | And so do I

*Seeking coin images for the Coin Inscription Project at coinscriptions.com - please let me know if you can help!*
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2009  09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TokenDave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
morgans dad,

There are many die pair variations of the Patriotic Civil War Token you described. The variations range from very common Rarity Level 1 to very rare (2 to 4 known) Rarity Level 9. If you wish, post good close-up photos and I will use my reference books to tell you what you have. Also, the reference xshift provided is a high quality Civil War Token site.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1648 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2009  11:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is also a an error/variety of that token that says "shoot him on the spoot"....

I have a "spoot" variety. I picked it up about 20 years ago. I only have a few cwts.
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2009  07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jim Archibald to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just wondering, does anyone have a Fuld number for that "Shoot him on the spoot" variety? I'd like to pick one up, it's such a cool die sinker error. Could one of you gentlemen please post a picture of this one? Thanks! I think it's my personal favorite Patriotic CWT. ~ Jim
Valued Member
United States
88 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2009  10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TokenDave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The FULD numbering for the "SPOOT" variety is 209/414a. The "a" designates "copper." The rarity level is R2 (estimated 2001 to 5000 in existence).
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.Shop at PDS Coins!
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05