Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2000 mis aligned die penny?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2009  11:03 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Jolene to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I will admit I know nothing about coins. Well, I know how to spend them.

Today I was putting my change in my drawer and I noticed a pretty neat penny in the group. It is a year 2000 penny. On the side with the face there is no word "trust" as that area has a little straight part on it. On the other side there is "state" printed upside down on the word "cent"

I will add photos in a sec.
Thank you for your help in this.
J

Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2009  11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting...but not a misaligned die. Possibly something else, but the pics will determine a lot.
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2009  11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jolene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2009  11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, that's a lot better than a misaligned die. It's double struck. A double struck coin can bring $10 or more. A misaligned die strike is usually worth nothing.

That's a nice error!
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/11/2009  11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jolene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought it was neat. So what do I do with it? Do I keep it safe somehow or sell it somewhere?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9812 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's a nice find...I've yet to find one in a box of cents.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7616 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  12:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coppercoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure what they sell for, so I wouldn't venture to guess what you should offer it for.

Keeping it safe would be my best opinion. Get a 2x2 flip to put it in at the least.
Learn More...
United States
14434 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  04:41 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it had a second date, it would bring a substantial premium. Double struck Lincolns of this date and percentage of second strike go for about $10-$15. I'd put it in a plastic "flip" and hold on to it. It looks like a RB (Red-Brown) Lincoln. Nice find!
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early big copper enthusiast.
Pillar of the Community
Egypt
3470 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  05:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EgCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find. and to CCF
United States
4 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jolene to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. I was thinking about where I got the change. To try to pinpoint where it came from. Well, I am pretty sure it was in my change from the school book fair at the elementary school. I hope some kid didn't hit up mom's/dad's coin stash for some money for the fair.

J
Pillar of the Community
Spain
1361 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add manilagalleontrade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice find
Pillar of the Community
United States
2557 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2009  6:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim Stroud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice find indeed. I agree with coppercoins. Put it in a 2x2flip or fold over. If you choose a cardboard fold over (my personal favorite for coins $20 and under in value) the nickel size should work for that one.
Pay your taxes! 12 million illegal immigrants are depending on it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."
Thomas Jefferson

Oldest Circulation Find ----- 1897S Barber quarter
Oldest Detector Find -------- 1803 Large cent

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2009  01:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add D_J to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice to find that in your pocket change. You should take the advice of the others above, but also make sure the flip you get for it has no PVC. This is important because flips that have PVC will ruin the coin after a while. I do mean a while, but it's worth it to just get the right kind of flip.

If you just ask wherever you buy the flip, they should know exactly what you mean. Tell them it's for long term storage. If they have no idea what you mean, get the flip somewhere else.

I thought a lot of places had stopped selling the ones that contained PVC, and was surprised to see a well established coin shop near me still selling them.
Valued Member
United States
248 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2009  10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cole317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How cool would it be if it was a WAM too!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic GamesSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05