Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do you prefer toning?

Previous Page | Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2009  12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shooligan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me the toning takes away from the eye appeal.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2009  3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MattDrew to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do as long as I like how it is toned, if that makes sense. The colors etc. Also I would rather have it on worn coins
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13166 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2009  6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I voted for "dislike any", but in truth my answer would be to "dislike most".

I like coins to look honest. A 500 year old coin shouldn't shine and sparkle like it was made yesterday. Nor should a coin made within the past couple of decades look tarnished or psychedelic.

Some people like certain types of toning. To me, all toning is much the same - it should serve merely as an indicator of age and preservation. I'd never pay a premium for "attractive toning", and I'd expect a discount for "ugly toning" - and my definition of "ugly" would include some of the toned coins that I've seen other people lavish praise upon. But that's just me, and my opinion.

Toning is natural and inevitable. It should neither be removed nor encouraged.

I stopped reading after this reply since it says EXACTLY what I would say.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2009  11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the votes and replies, when I posted this I figured that "I like some forms of toning" would be most popular, but I was also pretty surprised that 32% of the people who voted for "I don't like any forms of toning." I hate the look of AT coins, but some toning really catches my eye. Here are two examples of a nicely toned Morgan, and a horrible AT Morgan:

AT:http://cgi.ebay.com/1890-P-Morgan-S...AU_W0QQitemZ130344184588QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item1e591e6b0c
NT:http://cgi.ebay.com/1884-O-NGC-MS64...an_W0QQitemZ250525640352QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_US_Individual?hash=item3a547de6a0
Pillar of the Community
United States
1111 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2009  12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scott3270 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
holy smokes that is one bad tone job there
Pillar of the Community
United States
1534 Posts
 Posted 12/23/2009  6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wheatguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I'm glad no one bid on it. Thanks for all the votes, I now have a good idea about the majority of people that like toning and those who don't.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2009  8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 925dealer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Given the choice between a coin that is without toning and one that is the same but has toning I will always choose the untoned coin. Having said that I have seen some very pretty coins with toning on them and do understand some of the appeal. The problem as I see it though is some folks are now toning coins deliberately which in my opinion takes away some of the beauty of au and bu coins. Coin collecting as with anything else has a variety of folks, each with there individual likes and dislikes. I prefer the natural beauty of a coin that looks like it just came from the mint. Sincerely, John Leckrone
Edited by 925dealer
12/24/2009 8:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2009  10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Terror Of Zanarkand to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me, it depends on the toning. And the type of coin to some extent. I have a 1917 type 1 Standing Liberty quarter with a nice rainbow effect around part of the rim, and that toning is why I bought the coin. All of my 40% business strikes in my Kennedy set are toned, and the 1921 in my dollar date set is as well. However, with the Unc War Nickel set I'm working on, I don't want toning. War nickels tend to tone in ways I don't like. I'm also looking for nice high grade unc examples of all three of the 1943 steel cents. I also want these to be free of toning. It depends on a lot of things for me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1162 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2009  10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jprine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont have a problem with toned coins (as you can see from my avatar). I actually have several toned franklins in my set. I also like un toned coins, depend on the coin. I like a good, clean freshly painted 55 chevy but I also like the one with the original paint that has been well loved and taken care of.
Pillar of the Community
United States
718 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2009  3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Saruma to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of toning. Even rainbow toning bugs me. The only type of toning I don't mind are large cents that have become dark brown.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5970 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2009  12:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seperately.....kind of..... I am getting into collecting those beautiful RED Lincolns. There is something very appealing to this tone for me, over the browns and "natural" colors of the Cent.
I don't quite have enough to "change an album" over to this........nor will I seek out and pay premiums for them.....I'll just acquire them the way I always have. (through estate sales, newspapers, etc.)
Pillar of the Community
555 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2009  1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Neil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love rainbow toning, and will gladly pay a premium. A beautiful coin inherits more beauty with NT. I concur the whole set must either be toned or free of toning. I'll take the 55 Chevy with its original white and turquoise color.
United States
16 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2009  5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add papasteeze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey eagle! I like collecting red wheaties too! I have sets labled red, green and black. here is a section of the red set that is ever growing! lol

Red Sense!

Rainbow toning and such just makes the coin suspect to me. With some basic metallurgy it is easy tone a coin. I presume everyone here knows this? Ok not easy, I guess its like cooking, just follow the recipe. I have/had a purple '26 that I know was not purple 10 years ago. I don't remember wiping anything (solvent) however I have used denatured alcohol, toluene, acetone etc in the past to clean crap off a coin. I must have done something to it. I posted about it in one of my first threads. Anyways... since it looked like a sore thumb, I decided to fix it. I suspended the penny in sealed jar over a 10% solution of NH3 and water for about 30 minutes and viola! nice and light brown once again.

I should post before and afters.

BTW - That solution is very corrosive. Make sure you don't care about the value if you want to try it. Every coin will react differently depending on the starting point.

I am an extreme newbie to the political intricacies in the delicate subject of creating eye appeal ie. cleaning and toning.. Like the signature I saw on here - you didn't pay for this opinion, so take it for what it is worth - or something like that......

I know, OP. I am sorry. you didnt want to create a debate, but I have to get this off my chest.

IMO: There is no difference in AT vs NT except semantics. The colors you see are oxidation from a reaction of chemicals introduced in proximity of said colored coin. duh... Since some unseen force of nature did not introduce the chemicals, it can safely be said that it was done by the human hand. Whether accidentally or on purpose is inconsequential IMO, it happens. So, therefore if you like colorful toned coins, then study up! You can have every color of the rainbow on every coin for probably the cost of one of those coins.

Blasephemy, I know. Don't yell at me I am new here!

BTW - I checked: I like some toned coins. I like the red, green and black ones, I find in all sorts of weird places.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11167 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2009  10:45 pm  Show Profile Check biokemist6's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is no difference in AT vs NT except semantics

Ah, there is a difference and it is much more than semantics. Natural toning is the result of environmental exposure(trace levels of sulfide, chloride, oxide, etc) through the natural progression of time. There are specific color gradients formed naturally that can almost never be artificially induced and AT can produce garish colors that do not exist in nature. Natural toning is measured in years and decades whereas AT is measured in days or weeks(and even minutes or hours), speeding up the kinetics of toning will not yield the same result as a slow plodding natural process.

Quote:
in the delicate subject of creating eye appeal

I think that might be part of your misunderstanding, a coin either has eye appeal or it does not. Eye appeal is not something you can create, it is a combination of the natural qualities of a coin- patina of the coin and the strike and wear qualities. An ugly coin will always be an ugly coin but a monster coin with off-the-charts eye appeal can become a dog if it is not properly cared for and preserved.
ANA R-3151318
Pillar of the Community
United States
4252 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2009  11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheNickelGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like attractive natural golden. red and blue toning. Doesn't bother me a bit. On earlier coins like barber and bust coins I like dark fields and light lettering and devices on worn coins.
Edited by TheNickelGuy
12/27/2009 11:44 pm
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW Mintage
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 3.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05