Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

a coin my grandma gave me

Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  12:42 pm Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jacquelyn1998 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Yesterday, I was sick and my parents and my brother had to go to school to talk about something. So, I went to my grandma's house, I started telling her about my coins, and she got her step stool and got a bunch of coins. She told me that her husband (my grandpa who died before my parents even got married) had them, and she had no idea how he got them, but she gave them to me. The most interesting was an 1858 half dollar. It's a little bit worn down around the edges. She said she gave it to me because I was her youngest grandchild, and she would have no more grandchildren. It is 152 years old, so it was probally my great-great-grandfather's coin once.
I'll post pictures soon.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  1:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wornslick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats jacquelyn1998, thats a great story. The coins that are family passed on are the best kind. I can't wait to see the pics.
Wornslick

ANA R3154225

" The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me "
United States
23 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jacquelyn1998 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, might have to wait because my copy machine won't turn on. (Yes, that's how I get pictures.)
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome Story! I love how coins can tell history. My Grandpa has an old Liberty nickel that looks like that it has been in a housefire. Now, My grandpa told me that his father was in a housefire that was started by an over, or something like that. There was a baby girl (not sure who) in the housefire who didn't survive.

But I think that coin may have been in that house fire based on the timing of the events.
Edited by SilverTurtle
06/05/2010 2:43 pm
Valued Member
Canada
60 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add acodym to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats and a great Story! I love getting coins passed down from my family! The are just so much more special! :)
Valued Member
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add albumcollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can't wait to see the pictures. I have a few coins from my grandparents (Large cent, 3 cent silver, etc) and they are some of the most special coins in my collection!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2733 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like hearing stories almost as much as making them up. Back in the 60's my dad gave me a Moroccan coin with a wild design. It changed my collecting habits, and expanded my appreciation for the off-beat.
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add big777bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My most treasured coins are those that were given to me by my father. There is no monetary value that be put on them. That is what sparked my interest in collecting and 50 years later I'm still at it.
Valued Member
United States
469 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  7:25 pm  Show Profile Check wheatiefan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add wheatiefan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good Story :)

I have an 1850s large cent which my grandmother gave to me. Her grandmother had given it to her. It is bent and beat up. Most people on this forum wouldn't pay $10 for it, but it is invaluable to me.

-wheatiefan
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2010  8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SilverTurtle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mint State Coins are cool, but it is the heavily circulated ones that tell more of a story... Unless your talking about the extremely rare and famous coins like the 1913 Liberty nickel or the 1933 St. Gaudens $20 Gold Piece. But either way, every coin tells a story.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3185 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2010  2:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My father has an old dollar bill, much bigger than modern dollars that has a nice story. When grandpa migrated from the east (NYC) to Kansas, where he was a cowboy for years, my grandmother kept it pinned to her petticoat for sake keeping. My father likes to raise the bill to a light to show the holes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2010  2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love all these tidbits of hand-me-downs! Those are true treasures. I don't have any stories like that because no one in (at least my immediate) family ever collected coins. I guess I have to be the pioneer.

I can only hope whoever inherits my collection will jump on here and share a story like that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2010  3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, I also love stories like this. My grandpa gave me some coins the same way. I just brought it up one day, and the next time I saw him, I got a present.
Learn More...
United States
22117 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2010  11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Count me as another that considers this a great addition to your collection.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1397 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2010  12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Nickelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Back when I was young (substitute stupid here) my Dad gave me a handful of silver coins. I kept them for a while and then spent them. He was so mad he never gave me another coin. I felt so bad when I saw how mad he was that I started saving silver coins like crazy, probably so he wouldn't be mad at me anymore. It didn't work... he's still mad at me and I have hundreds now :)
Learn More...
United States
14577 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2010  01:40 am  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I'm sorry you did not get a chance to know your Grandpa. They both sound like wonderful people
Great story. Please post a picture, we would really love to see it
johnny54321 - John Brawner, my eternal friend. You will be missed by your CCF Family.

CCF members sell on eBay!

vermontensium's coins for sale :p
ANA LM1214396 - Early US copper enthusiast.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05