Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

HSN was wrong: 2010 Mint set is satin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
555 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  09:46 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Neil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

So the boobs from HSN lied about 2009 being the last year for satin mint sets. This from the mint:

The 2010 Mint Set features double the coins (28), as it includes both Philadelphia and Denver uncirculated versions.

"The United States Mint Uncirculated Coin Set includes two folders, each containing 14 coins from the United States Mint facilities at Denver and Philadelphia," describes the Mint. "The coins are struck on special presses using greater force than circulating coins, producing a sharp, intricately detailed image. The satin-finish coins are displayed in a folder that includes a Certificate of Authenticity."

Pillar of the Community
United States
1418 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tumbleweedtrumpet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. It doesn't surprise me though.
Pillar of the Community
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cownas22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have the sleez balls at HSN ever been right?
Valued Member
United States
249 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It doesn't surprise me.

They were selling 5 UNC S mint Morgans the other night. These were the "Pure Silver" variety. These were right after the "Pure 22k" GAE's.

Morans.
Pillar of the Community
United States
935 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  1:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add okiepb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
HSN is entertaining and good for a laugh now & then but you can't believe any figures they throw out. I'm amazed that people buy their stuff at the prices they charge. I pity them when they go to sell their collections.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11507 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  3:50 pm  Show Profile Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should call and complain to HSN!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
VERDI-CAREā„¢ All Metal Conservation Fluid
http://www.verdichem.com
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add guitarmonkee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those guys are knuckleheads and good for a laugh every once in awhile, I feel sorry for the people that actually buy stuff from them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4000 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2010  10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scooby Due to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let it go Whytlash - LOL!
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  01:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Whytlash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Let it go Whytlash - LOL!

Dude, you cracked me up with that one!

Nah, you don't want me steppin' in on this!

Although I had some initial thoughts when I first saw this, I just sit on the sidelines smoking a cigarette and watch the drama unfold. [smoking smiley]

But I will say this, I find Mr. Teeth entertaining, and he does know a lot of stuff. But you have to remember, he (and they) are in the business to move product. He follows in a long line of salesmen that have perfected the art of selling you stuff you never knew that you really needed. Or wanted.

And he's always got some crazy sidekick to provide the comedy relief. Except when it's some hot chick and then I forget what he's hawkin'!

And then I have to remember, whenever I watch the show, to turn down the brightness on my boob tube so his teeth don't blind me. Except when that hot chick's on there and then turn the brightness up and just deal with it!

That being said, I haven't seen the show where this is mentioned, but hey, he's human (at least I think so) and can make a mistake.

Nonetheless, (here it comes...)

they offer a wide range of products to a mass market. They sit on millions of dollars in inventory and if you buy something you know where it came from, and it's so easy to send it back and you get your dough back without any hassle. How many dealers have a thousand or so 2010 ASE's slabbed by ANACS in MS70 just sittin' in the back room? You gotta pay for that. You don't have to go anywhere, you just click a few buttons (you and a ton of other people) and the next thing you know your MS70 is in your mailbox.

BUT, I learned my lesson with these guys and those shows a long time ago. You can find this stuff out there from equally reliable sources at much better prices, and it still only takes a few clicks for something to show up in your mailbox.

I've heard Mr. Teeth make booboos before. When you talk that fast with all them big white teeth in your head you're bound to stumble over those huge pearly whites every once in a while.

Remember, once you get past the sales pitch he does impart some interesting and useful information. He always seems to neglect, though, to tell you then he's gonna smile so you can throw yer shades on real quick!

Steve
(How'd I do? Hope I get an "A"!)
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itrooper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I HATE Satin Finish coins! Stupid mint.

I love watching both the collectible coin and collectible knife shows. I would not pay them one red cent of my own money, but they do crack me up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9260 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2010  1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't watch HSN but my bet still is that they never claimed 2009 would be the last year for the satin finish. My bet is they said something like "These are the last satin finish US mint set." or "These are the last satin finish coins produced by the US Mint." Or maybe "These 2009 sets will be the last satin finish sets made by the US Mint." All of these statements would be true, but none of them say that the Mint would not make more satin finish mint sets in the future. The most misleading would be the last statement, but it only refers to 2009 sets and that there wouldn't be any other 2009 satin finish sets made.

When you think they have made such a sweeping claim as what this one was supposed to be, it is very important to find out EXACTLY what they said word for word. These people are VERY good at saying one thing and getting people to infer they are saying something else. Something that will encourage them to buy. All three of the statements I made earlier could easily be taken to be a statement that the 2010 sets would not be satin finish, but none of them do.
Valued Member
United States
182 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2010  10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add legend to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, those pitiful sales techniques. When reading true false questions on a test, there are rules. Always, never and other "absolute" statement questions are almost always false. False claims are no different. If you hear "the last one- never again- not sold in stores".....put them on the same shelf space with Dwight Yoakam's CD "Last Chance for a Thousand Years". Which is really good, BTW. For Dwight. Is HSN still operational? Go figure.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2010  9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add coinshopworker to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have so many customers come in selling their garbage from HSN (gold plated, "special" slabbed coins, etc.) it is depressing. People are upset, it makes us look like we aren't being fair because we aren't paying NEAR what they paid, and everyone loses. Except HSN. I always tell people: Don't buy coins/bullion from any company you can't sell back to!!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageShop at PDS Coins!CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 2.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05