Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!
 All Forums
 US Coins and Currency Discussion Forums
 US Classic Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

09svdb authentic?

Next Page    
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
oober
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  01:49 am Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add oober to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Just wondering what your thoughts are. I would never purchase a non certified key date, but I am always looking to see as many examples as I can.

The VDB looks weird to me. Maybe just the exposure...

Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1909-S-VDB-LINC...em563e2720c9

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3098 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wd1040 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah... why does it look slanted?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2999 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  02:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD? its got a lot of hits....but I haven't collected pennies in a long time, have lots of them....
Valued Member
United States
397 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  02:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Waredu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It almost looks like the VDB is painted onto the coin.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2999 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  02:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add aladinslamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the color is definitely off..and only the VDB!!
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  03:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Savannah04 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Defiantly does not look anything like my V.D.B on mine. mine looks straight not slanted and not a gold color like that more of a copper color. The dot between the V and D is also way bigger on that one than mine.
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cperry8483 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely looks weird.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1384 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  08:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wwhitman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake -
'S' mint mark is not in the correct location.
It does not match any of the four known locations
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stunet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with the above. The "S" has more definition then the rest of the coin. Bad fake.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1815 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add steve199 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe someone else has the software and the time to overlay it with position #4 and see how well it fits.

Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
United States
13667 Posts
 Posted 07/19/2010  8:16 pm  Show Profile Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMO, this coin is legit. Diagnostically, it appears to fit well with pic #4. The coin is kind of banged up. This would result in some post mint damage. I think that's what happened to the upper part of the mm. The V.D.B. does appear to be weak, but also looks genuine.
He also has a 7-day return policy which is always good.

Quote:
Established in 1981, my wife and I are full-time professional numismatists. We sell largely on eBay but also attend many National and regional coin shows. We also do direct retail sales and even sell coins on approval. If I had to give you three words to describe our business ethics, they would be honesty, integrity and knowledge. Thank you.

But, there have been altered keys that have fooled even the most experienced numismatists. My advice is if your going to buy this coin, buy it already slabbed by a reputable TPG.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8246 Posts
 Posted 07/20/2010  1:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Position looks good for #4, but the shape of the MM seems off. Also the center crossbar of the B appears to go straight across. It should slant upwards.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcreek1968 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with "fake". The "S" appears questionable as does the vdb. The apparent wear on the vdb doesn't work with the apparent wear on the rest of the coin and the vdb is typically somewhat hidden from normal wear and tear as a result of positioning. Thus, it should be more apparent. Also, you'd have to see the "B" up closer, but the center bar of the B should slant upwards slightly from left to right to be legitimate. The buyer of this coin should purchase it contingent upon getting it in either an NGC, PCGS, or ANACS slab. That's the only way I would do it.
Pillar Of The Community
Coin Community SupporterSupporter!
9194 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with others. at first glance, the serifs and diagonal stroke don't seem right.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  11:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stacksilver79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one just doesn't sit right with me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3985 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  12:02 am  Show Profile Check daviscfad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add daviscfad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have thought and still think this coin is legit.
Selling common wheats at 4 cents each IN BULK. E-mail for details.

Spencer Davis

Learning, Turning, & Earning

inquiring minds want to know!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
CoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.SWCoins - We Love CoinsSELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageCoins Commemorating the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic Games$20 Pure Silver Coin - Candy Cane Proof with Murano Glass
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified Vams   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05