Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Find from a $1000 Bag of silver dollars

Previous Page
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dcreek1968 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BTW - I concur with the sand cast fake assessment.
Learn More...
United States
17616 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  10:39 am  Show Profile Check SsuperDdave's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, this is *not* a good forgery.

Even allowing for metal movement from a wire brush, the proportions are all wrong. On first glance, my eyes crossed; it just ain't right for a 1921 Morgan.

Specifically: The arrow fletches are wrong. The shape of the eagle's head is wrong. The date numeral spacing and number height-width proportion is wrong. There's too little "white space" in "In God we trust," even allowing for metal flow.

Ugh. It hurts to look at.
The best thing about a bicycle is that it uses no gasoline, therefore the chance of fiery death is greatly reduced.

Catman, Gary Burke, Bigg Fredd, coinguybrian, numismo, Johnny54321 - CCF members emeritus, now part of Heaven's Own Coin Club.

Our members sell on eBay!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  11:34 am  Show Profile Check swamperbob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dcreek1968 If I understand you correctly - you would put the water and container on the scale and zero it out. Then adding the coin would give you the same weight as in air.

You need to weigh it hanging in water. The analytical scale I use (a 4 beam Ohaus balance) has a hook above the normal pan and a free arm that can support the water and container.

Here is a sketch I made of how it works using a picture of an Ohaus scale like mine. The arm in the Photo is in the balse - you just raise it to do the test.

Here is another set up I found on the internet - it will work but you would have to adjust your calculations for the effect of the wire.

Learn More...
United States
22108 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is another set up I found on the internet - it will work but you would have to adjust your calculations for the effect of the wire.
Not sure if it is his photo, but that is the same picture from Kurt's post:

Testing specific gravity of coins: a brief demo

Which is based on your previous post!

We have now come full circle.
Jbuck! ... Coin Collector since 1978 ... Learn more about my current avatar and my previous one.

Did you know that our members sell on eBay? Click Here to see CCF member eBay Sales!

Did you know that there is a better way to search eBay for the coins you want? Click Here for the CCF eBay Search Engine!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2120 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Namachieli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know JBuck. we should have a feature that would allow us to searc.... oh, nvm...
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 07/21/2010  3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zazenboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Right off the bat the date is odd and so is the mintmark. Technically it is illegal to possess, but the ANA Money Museum should have a copy of it in its forgeries reference library if it was a cast counterfeit from the 20s and 30s.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2010  3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3stooges to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't even think about checking to see if such an ultra-common date was a fake. Good catch.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2395 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2010  08:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great find, contemporary counterfeit.

Worth more than a real one.
TreasHunt
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Shop at PDS Coins!SELECTED Modern WORLD Coins with LOW MintageSWCoins - We Love CoinsCoinSniper.com is the numismatic penny auction.
Coin Community Member eBay Sales - Only CCF Members Included Here
Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price  
Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  
New Forum Topics Recently Active Forum Topics

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use
Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2014 Coin Community Forums Go To Top Of Page
It took 1.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05